VS 2003 "Copy project" stochastic HTTP Server Internal Error 500

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Norbert Franke, Mar 3, 2005.

  1. Hello everyone,

    for two years we have been developing and maintaining a web application
    (currently 20 projects in solution). The deployment has always been done via
    Copy Project, with production server URL and a file share pointing to proper
    directory on the server via mapped drive.

    It has worked for two years till recently (might it be .NET fw SP 1.1 on dev
    machines?)

    The symptom is: when trying to copy project, 9 of 10 times
    (stochastically!!!) I get :

    Unable to create Web project 'URL'. The file path 'c:\folder\folder' does
    not correspond to the URL 'http://server/URL'. The two need to map to the
    same server location. HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error

    Funny thing is that from time to time the 'copy project' happens to work.

    I've been googling for some solution, and some guys pointed at custom error
    management and the role of get_aspx_ver.aspx virtual file... Not sure if this
    is the case, logs show that the file is responded with 404 (as it should be).

    Some other funny symptom: sometimes when doing copy project, VS 'is not able
    to find out the version of the ASP.NET on the server'.

    Well, then, any ideas?

    Best regards

    Norbert

    --
    "all these moments will be gone like tears in the rain"

    Norbert Franke, Mar 3, 2005

  2. Norbert Franke

    Mike Logan Guest

    Norbert Franke, you should use a different newsgroup, however,

    Try using UnleashIt. It is a free product for deploying web applications.
    It also hooks into VS.NET. Google to find it.

    Mike Logan, Mar 3, 2005

  3. RE: VS 2003 "Copy project" stochastic HTTP Server Internal Error 5

    Sorry for NTG (shall I go for vsnet.*, rather?)

    UnleashIt is just great, just feel like I was blind before and now I see :)

    Thnx

    Norbert Franke, Mar 3, 2005