VS 2003 "Copy project" stochastic HTTP Server Internal Error 500

Norbert Franke

Hello everyone,

for two years we have been developing and maintaining a web application
(currently 20 projects in solution). The deployment has always been done via
Copy Project, with production server URL and a file share pointing to proper
directory on the server via mapped drive.

It has worked for two years till recently (might it be .NET fw SP 1.1 on dev
machines?)

The symptom is: when trying to copy project, 9 of 10 times
(stochastically!!!) I get :

Unable to create Web project 'URL'. The file path 'c:\folder\folder' does
not correspond to the URL 'http://server/URL'. The two need to map to the
same server location. HTTP Error 500: Internal Server Error

Funny thing is that from time to time the 'copy project' happens to work.

I've been googling for some solution, and some guys pointed at custom error
management and the role of get_aspx_ver.aspx virtual file... Not sure if this
is the case, logs show that the file is responded with 404 (as it should be).

Some other funny symptom: sometimes when doing copy project, VS 'is not able
to find out the version of the ASP.NET on the server'.

Well, then, any ideas?

Best regards

Norbert

Mike Logan

Norbert Franke, you should use a different newsgroup, however,

Try using UnleashIt. It is a free product for deploying web applications.
It also hooks into VS.NET. Google to find it.

Norbert Franke

Sorry for NTG (shall I go for vsnet.*, rather?)

UnleashIt is just great, just feel like I was blind before and now I see :)

Thnx