vs 2003 refuses to start IE after single stepping and continue??

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Les Caudle, Jun 2, 2005.

  1. Les Caudle

    Les Caudle Guest

    I'm having a problem where VS 2003 on an (XP pro sp2 with all sec fixes) can
    single step local ASP.NET app and then start IE with no problems if I'm logged
    in as the Administrator.

    However, I'm trying to work logged in as a non-Admin on this box.

    If I use RunAs with the Administrator user/pass to run Vs 2003 (while normally
    logged into my non-admin account), I can single step but VS 2003 refuses to
    start IE.

    I can see an iexplorer.exe task getting created in the task manager.

    If I add my NonAdmin user to Administrators group (log off and log back in),
    then VS 2003 will start IE.

    I've also tried (an in fact this is my plan) using MakeMeAdmin
    http://blogs.msdn.com/aaron_margosis/ to give Administrator group access to a
    new token which runs VS 2003 - but again, I can single step but VS 2003 refuses
    to start IE.

    I can start VS 2003 and single step thru and have it fail to open IE - and then
    open IE myself and browse to the localhost site and have it hit the breakpoints
    - while Running as NonAdmin with Administrators group token (using MakeMeAdmin),
    but this is a very clumsy workaround.

    How can I resolve this issue where VS 2003 refuses to start IE?
    --
    Thanks in advance, Les Caudle

    Les Caudle, Jun 2, 2005

  2. Hello Les,

    yes - i observed that behaviour, too - this must have been "introduced" in
    a .net sp (because i am sure it worked at some point of time) - the behaviour
    under w2k3 is the same. Just looks like IE is started in the wrong WindowStation.

    If you fire up IE manually and navigate to the application - you will hit
    the breakpoint and can debug.

    very annoying.

    Dominick Baier - DevelopMentor
    http://www.leastprivilege.com

    Dominick Baier [DevelopMentor], Jun 2, 2005