VS 2005 Delete a Website

milkyway

Hello,

I have created many sample web sites for testing and now I would like
to do some cleanup.

When doing searches, it seemed that there were a good number of
approaches to removing a web site / application from Visual Studio -
some mentioning the use of IIS.

Is there an official suggestion on how to remove unwanted sites
~safely~ from Visual Studio?

Any help, hints or advice is appreciated ;-)

TIA

Juan T. Llibre

Just delete the website's files.

The next time you open VS.NET, you will be prompted
for removal of the website from the list of recent projects.

The default location for VS.NET website files is in

My Documents\Visual Studio
and
My Documents\Visual Studio 2005

If you don't want to delete them, just move them anywhere else.

Juan T. Llibre

Maybe I should make myself clearer.

Do NOT just delete an IIS Application's files.

That would cause problems if you need to
reuse the Application's name at a later time.

I'm refering to the File System websites created by VS.NET.
For *those*, you can just delete the website's files.

If you've published a VS website to an IIS site, the correct way
to get rid of it is to unload the Application using the IIS Manager,
and *then* you can safely delete any files you want to.

milkyway

Thank you for responding ;-)

I had created the directories for the websites using the option of
"Empty Website". When doing that, it would pretty much just create a
directory. Then, into that directory, I would put in some sample files
(since I am still trying to learn how to use this software).

So, what you are saying is that I can just remove the directory holding
the files and everything will be OK? I have not published anything - at
least I think, I don't know how to do that yet - but - the IIS server
has been started and when I test the files, it does seem to use the
server to locate them.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
So, what you are saying is that I can just remove the
directory holding the files and everything will be OK?

Exactly.

VS.NET will prompt you for whether you want to remove
that website from the recently-opened websites list the
next time you open VS.NET ( In VS 2005, at least. )

IIRC, the website just disappeared from VS.NET 2003.

Kevin Spencer

If you've published a VS website to an IIS site, the correct way
to get rid of it is to unload the Application using the IIS Manager,
and *then* you can safely delete any files you want to.

There is another (easier) alternative (assuming it is a child web and not a
root web). If you open the IIS Manager snap-in and right-click the web site
(application) folder, you will see a "Delete" context menu item. Selecting
this causes the web site to be removed from the IIS MetaBase, AND deletes
the folders.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer