    ~safely~ from Visual Studio?

    Any help, hints or advice is appreciated ;-)

    TIA

    milkyway, Sep 25, 2005

  2. Just delete the website's files.

    The next time you open VS.NET, you will be prompted
    for removal of the website from the list of recent projects.

    The default location for VS.NET website files is in

    My Documents\Visual Studio
    and
    My Documents\Visual Studio 2005

    If you don't want to delete them, just move them anywhere else.

    Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
    ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 25, 2005

  3. Maybe I should make myself clearer.

    Do NOT just delete an IIS Application's files.

    That would cause problems if you need to
    reuse the Application's name at a later time.

    I'm refering to the File System websites created by VS.NET.
    For *those*, you can just delete the website's files.

    If you've published a VS website to an IIS site, the correct way
    to get rid of it is to unload the Application using the IIS Manager,
    and *then* you can safely delete any files you want to.

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 25, 2005
  4. milkyway

    milkyway Guest

    Thank you for responding ;-)

    I had created the directories for the websites using the option of
    "Empty Website". When doing that, it would pretty much just create a
    directory. Then, into that directory, I would put in some sample files
    (since I am still trying to learn how to use this software).

    So, what you are saying is that I can just remove the directory holding
    the files and everything will be OK? I have not published anything - at
    least I think, I don't know how to do that yet - but - the IIS server
    has been started and when I test the files, it does seem to use the
    server to locate them.

    milkyway, Sep 25, 2005
  5. re:
    > So, what you are saying is that I can just remove the
    > directory holding the files and everything will be OK?

    Exactly.

    VS.NET will prompt you for whether you want to remove
    that website from the recently-opened websites list the
    next time you open VS.NET ( In VS 2005, at least. )

    IIRC, the website just disappeared from VS.NET 2003.

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 25, 2005
  6. milkyway

    milkyway Guest

    Thanks - that worked like you said ;-))

    milkyway, Sep 25, 2005
  7. > If you've published a VS website to an IIS site, the correct way
    > to get rid of it is to unload the Application using the IIS Manager,
    > and *then* you can safely delete any files you want to.

    There is another (easier) alternative (assuming it is a child web and not a
    root web). If you open the IIS Manager snap-in and right-click the web site
    (application) folder, you will see a "Delete" context menu item. Selecting
    this causes the web site to be removed from the IIS MetaBase, AND deletes
    the folders.

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer
    Microsoft MVP
    ..Net Developer
    I'd rather be a hammer than a nail.

    Kevin Spencer, Sep 26, 2005
  8. There's no undelete after you do that, either, is there ?

    Juan T. Llibre, Sep 26, 2005
  9. Nope!

    --
    ;-),