VS 2005 intellisense for complex properties in the XML/HTML designer

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Adam Tibi, Feb 17, 2006.

  1. Adam Tibi

    Adam Tibi Guest

    Hi,

    I am using a web custom control with Visual Studio 2005 and I have a
    property called :

    [Category("Controls")]
    [DesignerSerializationVisibility(DesignerSerializationVisibility.Content)]
    [NotifyParentProperty(true)]
    [PersistenceMode(PersistenceMode.InnerProperty)]
    public DropDownList DropDown {
    get {
    EnsureChildControls();
    return _dropDown;

    The problem is in the intellisense of the XML/HTML (Source) designer . The
    intellisense is showing the DropDown tag <DropDown> </DropDown> but it
    doesn't show any thing when I try to explore the childrens of this tag (by
    writing < between the <DropDown> and </DropDown>) where I expect to have
    <asp:ListItem> showing up! However, if I have <asp:ListItem> written inside,
    it works as expected at runtime.

    How can I tell the Intellisense to show the children or the DropDown tag? Am
    I missing any attribute to do so?

    Thanks for your help in advance.

    Adam Tibi
    Your Insurance Group

    Adam Tibi, Feb 17, 2006

  2. Adam Tibi

    Teemu Keiski Guest

    Hi,

    your custom control would need to be in the same namespace with asp:
    controls so that Intellisense would work as expected.

    More information:
    http://aspadvice.com/blogs/joteke/archive/2006/01/27/14886.aspx

    --
    Teemu Keiski
    ASP.NET MVP, AspInsider

    Teemu Keiski, Feb 20, 2006

  3. Adam Tibi

    Adam Tibi Guest

    Hi Teemu,

    Thank you for replying, I've been posting this from long but I didn't get
    any reply till now.

    So, to solve this, I can create an empty class within my namespace and this
    class should inherit DropDownList (it is just a way to alias the namespace).

    That seems to be the solution, thank you very much
    Best regards,
    Adam Tibi

    Adam Tibi, Feb 21, 2006