VS 2005 report or Crystal Repors

Bjorn Sagbakken

Hi

I have done some work with VS 2005 but no report-issues yet.
Now I want to step up, and implement reports for printing and PDF export.

I have just briefly studied the build-in report generator in VS 2005, and
this seems more than sufficient at the moment. But still I would like to
have some advice; should I move to Crystal Reports for improved performance?

The question may be lacking substance about the complexity in the report,
but are there any general advise out there?

Bjorn

Mark Rae

I have done some work with VS 2005 but no report-issues yet.
Now I want to step up, and implement reports for printing and PDF export.
OK.

I have just briefly studied the build-in report generator in VS 2005, and

Do you mean this:? http://www.gotreportviewer.com/
this seems more than sufficient at the moment. But still I would like to
have some advice; should I move to Crystal Reports for improved
performance?

Are you certain that Crystal will give better performance...?
The question may be lacking substance about the complexity in the report,
but are there any general advise out there?

If you're specifically interested in PDF (and maybe XPS), I would advise you
to have a loot at this: http://www.siberix.com

sloan

Read this post:
http://groups.google.com/groups/sea...aSet+"select+statements+or+stored+procedures"

or look thru these
http://groups.google.com/groups/search?q="Crystal+Reports"+DataSet+sloan&start=0&scoring=d&

Basically, if you code up your dataset correctly, you will have many more
options and you don't "marry" yourself to one type of viewer.

Active Reports is my personal favoriate, because it has a true OO model.

But focus on the "make a good dataset" part, and you will have flexibility
to change your viewer of choice.

Bjorn Sagbakken

Thanks. I have actually used Active Reports with Visual Studio 6 some years
ago, so maybe I should give this a chance again.

Bjorn Sagbakken

Mark Rae said:
Do you mean this:? http://www.gotreportviewer.com/
Yes.

Are you certain that Crystal will give better performance...?

No, not at all. That was a bit of my question, sort of. My reference to
Crystal is mostly from non-developers, who can write simple queries directly
in the full version of Crystal Reports. They say it is fantastic what you
can do with it. But these guys doesn't have a clue about Visual Studio, and
the kind of dynamic I want to put into this project.

sloan

I'm hoping you got more out of my post than just:
"Use Active Reports".

If you don't do your report (backend data via a dataset), then you'll screw
yourself in the future.

Bjorn Sagbakken

I didn't miss that point. Working with other s/w development tools, I have
learned the lesson of NOT adding hardcoded logic into the report itself. But
thanks for the reminder.