VS 2005 to VS 2008

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Lloyd Sheen, Apr 2, 2008.

  1. Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen Guest

    Anyone ever get this to work. Posted previous problems. With much screwing
    around I got past them.

    Now I have a simple ascx file with a code behind.

    Only line in ascx:
    <%@ WebService Language="VB" CodeBehind="~/App_Code/LogFilesPlayed.vb"
    Class="LogFilesPlayed" %>

    Error 1 Could not create type 'LogFilesPlayed'. C:\Visual Studio
    Projects\Music Player Web Site\MusicSite\LogFilesPlayed.asmx 1

    This is pretty much insane. I installed VWD 2008 and made new folder, and
    ran it. There must be something I am missing or is the wonderful conversion
    wizard not that great?

    I knew it would not be simple to convert but this is crazy.

    Thanks
    Lloyd Sheen
    Lloyd Sheen, Apr 2, 2008

  2. Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen Guest

    "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone ever get this to work. Posted previous problems. With much
    > screwing around I got past them.
    >
    > Now I have a simple ascx file with a code behind.
    >
    > Only line in ascx:
    > <%@ WebService Language="VB" CodeBehind="~/App_Code/LogFilesPlayed.vb"
    > Class="LogFilesPlayed" %>
    >
    > Error 1 Could not create type 'LogFilesPlayed'. C:\Visual Studio
    > Projects\Music Player Web Site\MusicSite\LogFilesPlayed.asmx 1
    >

    > This is pretty much insane. I installed VWD 2008 and made new folder, and
    > ran it. There must be something I am missing or is the wonderful
    > conversion wizard not that great?
    >
    > I knew it would not be simple to convert but this is crazy.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lloyd Sheen

    Ok now it seems that somehow I managed to convince VS 2008 that my folder
    structure required that the top level folder was the solution. Now the
    original solution contained the web site and a project with the DAL. Simply
    creating a new folder with the web site folder and the DAL folder did not
    work and all the references were totally out of wack.

    What I had to do was delete all this so that VS 2008 told me it could not
    find it and then recopy the two folders under a general folder I have
    created for VS projects.

    I could then open the web site and add an existing project (DAL). This
    brings things back to "normal"

    I have noticed in my testing that several things I thought were fixed
    (enhanced) are not. The support for Ajax Toolkit is worse in the designer
    that VS 2005. Using the Tab control a simple click of the container to see
    the user control used for each tab somehow screwed up the entire layout. I
    copied the old markup back in and things were ok but still unusable in the
    designer. Before I did this I used the CTL-Z trick to keep going back and
    ...... (wait for it) the designer would goback a step (one for each click of
    a tab) until there was nothing more to go back to and then .... (wait for it
    again) VS 2008 shut down (that is why I had to recopy the code).

    I am not impressed.

    LS
    Lloyd Sheen, Apr 2, 2008

  3. You may "not be impressed", but you are complaining about a lot of common
    issues that revolve around conversion of projects that you just need to study
    and get to the point where you understand. You are not alone.
    -- Peter
    Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net

    Peter Bromberg [C# MVP], Apr 3, 2008
  4. Lloyd Sheen

    Lloyd Sheen Guest

    > You may "not be impressed", but you are complaining about a lot of common
    > issues that revolve around conversion of projects that you just need to
    > study
    > and get to the point where you understand. You are not alone.
    > -- Peter
    > Site: http://www.eggheadcafe.com
    > Short Urls & more: http://ittyurl.net
    >

    > "Lloyd Sheen" wrote:
    >

    >> "Lloyd Sheen" <> wrote in message
    >> > Anyone ever get this to work. Posted previous problems. With much
    >> > screwing around I got past them.
    >> >
    >> > Now I have a simple ascx file with a code behind.
    >> >
    >> > Only line in ascx:
    >> > <%@ WebService Language="VB" CodeBehind="~/App_Code/LogFilesPlayed.vb"
    >> > Class="LogFilesPlayed" %>
    >> >
    >> > Error 1 Could not create type 'LogFilesPlayed'. C:\Visual Studio
    >> > Projects\Music Player Web Site\MusicSite\LogFilesPlayed.asmx 1
    >> >

    >> > This is pretty much insane. I installed VWD 2008 and made new folder,
    >> > and
    >> > ran it. There must be something I am missing or is the wonderful
    >> > conversion wizard not that great?
    >> >
    >> > I knew it would not be simple to convert but this is crazy.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks
    >> > Lloyd Sheen

    >> Ok now it seems that somehow I managed to convince VS 2008 that my folder
    >> structure required that the top level folder was the solution. Now the
    >> original solution contained the web site and a project with the DAL.
    >> Simply
    >> creating a new folder with the web site folder and the DAL folder did not
    >> work and all the references were totally out of wack.
    >>
    >> What I had to do was delete all this so that VS 2008 told me it could not
    >> find it and then recopy the two folders under a general folder I have
    >> created for VS projects.
    >>
    >> I could then open the web site and add an existing project (DAL). This
    >> brings things back to "normal"
    >>
    >> I have noticed in my testing that several things I thought were fixed
    >> (enhanced) are not. The support for Ajax Toolkit is worse in the
    >> designer
    >> that VS 2005. Using the Tab control a simple click of the container to
    >> see
    >> the user control used for each tab somehow screwed up the entire layout.
    >> copied the old markup back in and things were ok but still unusable in
    >> the
    >> designer. Before I did this I used the CTL-Z trick to keep going back
    >> and
    >> ...... (wait for it) the designer would goback a step (one for each click
    >> of
    >> a tab) until there was nothing more to go back to and then .... (wait for
    >> it
    >> again) VS 2008 shut down (that is why I had to recopy the code).
    >>
    >> I am not impressed.
    >>
    >> LS

    Sorry forgot to put the <rant> tags in my statements. But I am still amazed
    that this being my 3rd workstation with VS 2003 / 2005 and 2008 that the IDE
    still gives problems with graphics. The Start/Debug toolbar still does not
    show as enabled unless you move the mouse over it and I still have to
    sometimes minimize / restore to get the IDE back in working order. That is
    3 PCs with different configuration including graphics cards and OS both XP
    Pro and Vista Ultimate.

    </rant>

    Thanks
    LS