VS 2005 web site web.config rejected by IIS as badly formed. "Child Nodes not allowed" error given.

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Eric, Nov 17, 2005.

  1. Eric

    Eric Guest

    I created a simple web site in VS 2005 and then copied it underneath the IIS
    tree and created a virtual directory for it. When I try to access the
    default.aspx page I get the below error text:

    Note that this is the default web.config file generated by the application.
    The OS is Windows Server 2003, released version of VS 2005, created an
    Asp.Net file system web site that does not do anything special and deployed
    it to test.

    Server Error in '/Metrics2' Application.

    Configuration Error

    Parser Error Message: Child nodes are not allowed.

    Source Error:

    Line 25: <compilation debug="true" strict="false" explicit="true"/>
    Line 26: <pages>
    Line 27: <namespaces>
    Line 28: <clear/>
    Line 29: <add namespace="System"/>

    Source File: C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Metrics2\web.config Line: 27

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET
    Version:1.1.4322.2300

    Eric, Nov 17, 2005

  2. Eric

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Your IIS is configured to run under ASP.Net 1.1...look at the bottom of the
    error message:
    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2300; ASP.NET
    Version:1.1.4322.2300

    There should be a tab in your IIS which lets you switch versions.

    Karl

    --
    MY ASP.Net tutorials
    http://www.openmymind.net/