    be doing this and/or how to fix the web site creation error.

    Thanks all!

    John.
    John Straumann, Jun 21, 2008

  2. When you create a website *on a non-standard port*, like 99 instead of 80,
    you need to first create the website manually using the IIS manager.

    Then, you can work on your website remotely with VS, providing the necessary credentials.

    For web sites to be created on the standard port 80 :

    To create a remote IIS Web site requires the following:

    a. The remote computer must be running the .NET Framework version 2.0.

    b. The remote computer must have IIS version 5.0 or later installed and running.

    c. ASP.NET must be enabled in IIS on the remote computer.

    d. FrontPage Server Extensions must be installed and enabled
    at the root level where you are creating the new Web site.

    e. You must have FrontPage administration or author permissions to create new folders and files
    on the remote computer under the root where you want the site to be. You can launch the FrontPage
    Server Extensions administration Web page from within Visual Web Developer by using the
    Web Permissions command on the Website menu.

    To open an existing site on the remote computer, the preceding must be true, and in addition:

    a. FrontPage Server Extensions must be enabled for the Web site.

    b. The site must be configured to use ASP.NET version 2.0. If it is not, when you open the site,
    Visual Web Developer will prompt you to reconfigure the site to use ASP.NET 2.0. Note that this
    is distinct from having ASP.NET 2.0 installed on the remote computer. Even if ASP.NET 2.0 is
    installed on the remote computer, an open site might be mapped to use an earlier version of ASP.NET.

    c. ASP.NET must be enabled on IIS.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 22, 2008

  3. Hi Juan:

    Yes I did create the site on port 99 manually first, I guess I next need to
    follow the steps you outline below?

    Thanks for the extensive information!

    John.

    John Straumann, Jun 22, 2008
  4. re:
    !> you should blog this somewhere Juan

    <sigh>

    You're right. I should get off my bum and start blogging.

    Losing my dad in January derailed me quite a bit.
    I'm only now recovering a sense of normality in my life.

    It's time to put together all the bits posted to this newsgroup
    in a place where they can be trackedback/digged/etc.

    Thanks, John.

    Juan T. Llibre, Jun 23, 2008