VS 2008 New Website...create on server?

John Straumann

Hello all:

Most of my development for websites has been on test VPC images where VS is
installed on the server image. I now have a setup where I have a test server
joined to my domain, and a development PC also joined to the domain. On the
server I created a new website on port 99 called "dev", and then on the
development PC I tried to create a new http website using
http://testserver:99/testwebsite, however I get an error message "Unable to
create the web site, the server does not appear to have FrontPage server
extensions installed". However in IIS it seems that FrontPage server
extensions *are* installed, so I am not sure what is going wrong.

On another note, is this even a good idea or "best practice" to develop web
projects? Or should I always develop on my local machine and then simply
copy the entire project over to the test server when I need to test it? The
main reason I wanted to work directly on the server is time, I.e. saves all
that copying of files, but I would appreciate any feedback on how I should
be doing this and/or how to fix the web site creation error.

Thanks all!

John.

Juan T. Llibre

When you create a website *on a non-standard port*, like 99 instead of 80,
you need to first create the website manually using the IIS manager.

Then, you can work on your website remotely with VS, providing the necessary credentials.

For web sites to be created on the standard port 80 :

To create a remote IIS Web site requires the following:

a. The remote computer must be running the .NET Framework version 2.0.

b. The remote computer must have IIS version 5.0 or later installed and running.

c. ASP.NET must be enabled in IIS on the remote computer.

d. FrontPage Server Extensions must be installed and enabled
at the root level where you are creating the new Web site.

e. You must have FrontPage administration or author permissions to create new folders and files
on the remote computer under the root where you want the site to be. You can launch the FrontPage
Server Extensions administration Web page from within Visual Web Developer by using the
Web Permissions command on the Website menu.

To open an existing site on the remote computer, the preceding must be true, and in addition:

a. FrontPage Server Extensions must be enabled for the Web site.

b. The site must be configured to use ASP.NET version 2.0. If it is not, when you open the site,
Visual Web Developer will prompt you to reconfigure the site to use ASP.NET 2.0. Note that this
is distinct from having ASP.NET 2.0 installed on the remote computer. Even if ASP.NET 2.0 is
installed on the remote computer, an open site might be mapped to use an earlier version of ASP.NET.

c. ASP.NET must be enabled on IIS.

John Straumann

Hi Juan:

Yes I did create the site on port 99 manually first, I guess I next need to
follow the steps you outline below?

Thanks for the extensive information!

John.

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> you should blog this somewhere Juan

<sigh>

You're right. I should get off my bum and start blogging.

Losing my dad in January derailed me quite a bit.
I'm only now recovering a sense of normality in my life.

It's time to put together all the bits posted to this newsgroup
in a place where they can be trackedback/digged/etc.

Thanks, John.