vs designer and code-behind inheritence

Eric Biggs

I don't know about you all, but I've had a real frustrating time with the vs
designer. When an inherited base class composes WebControls as members, the
designer will go in and without asking hide the base's members without using
new (I figure the designer doesn't even realize it's doing this.) My
question is why the heck is the designer not compatable with this basic
level of refactoring? Is this sort of refactoring intentionally discouraged
by the asp.net team or is the vs.net product just not where it should be?
This is maddeningly frustrating. Are there other visual designers out there
that aren't this dense? What about Borlands products? Anyone know?