VS Develper (non Admin) missing IIS MMC Management

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Andrew Clancy, Aug 13, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I am trying to set up VS Developer users with non-administrator rights
    debug ASP (3) in VB.Net, and of course manage IIS MMC. This has
    succeeeded on 3 machines, including my own - but since then it hasnt
    been able to work, with seemingly exactly the same install & debug
    setup. All machines are Windows 2000 with IIS 5.0.

    My main 2 problems are:
    1. the user cannot see the web site properties in MMC.
    2. I get all of the errors from this kb article
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;320451
    (but tried the resolution and it's not it)

    I have tried re-installing IIS, VB.Net & ASP.Net 1.1 (in that order),
    doing the usual permission stuff (adding the user to debugger & vs
    developer group, file permissions on inetpub and temp asp.net files,
    etc etc). Frontpage is installed (this shouldnt matter as it is a
    local box not remote debugging). And I've tried aspnet_regiis.exe
    reg'ing aspnet_isapi.dll). I've tried everything!

    This is an absolute pain as we are all still developing in ASP 3 and
    moving forward has taken 18 months sofar and got nowhere - any ideas
    would be great!
    Andrew Clancy, Aug 13, 2004

  2. Windows 2000
    Easy: Log in as admin and add their accounts to the Operators tab.

    Windows XP
    Create a stub to run as admin, as the operators tab is gone.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think Outside the Box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\) [MVP], Aug 13, 2004

  3. Thanks Greg - but I dont have the operators tab in windows 2000 pro for some
    reason?
    Is there a group policy I can apply that achieves the same?

    Does this solve my .Net project creation problems too?

    Thanks,
    Andy

    "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) [MVP]" <> wrote
    in message news:...

    Andrew Clancy, Aug 13, 2004
  4. Andrew Clancy

    Bernard Guest

    W2k Pro and XP Pro do not have operator tab.
    this is client OSes limitation of IIS.

    and operator tab has been remove from IIS 6.0 as well.

    --
    Regards,
    Bernard Cheah

    "Andrew Clancy" <contactATachrenDOTorg> wrote in message
    > Thanks Greg - but I dont have the operators tab in windows 2000 pro for

    some
    > reason?
    > Is there a group policy I can apply that achieves the same?
    >
    > Does this solve my .Net project creation problems too?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Andy
    >

    > "Cowboy (Gregory A. Beamer) [MVP]" <>

    wrote