    tags for me when I try to fix this.

    UGH.

    -Darrel

    darrel, Jan 12, 2006

  2. darrel

    Scott M. Guest

    Wow! Haven't seen definition tables ( <dt> ) used in years. CSS?

    Scott M., Jan 12, 2006

  3. darrel

    darrel Guest

    > Wow! Haven't seen definition tables ( <dt> ) used in years. CSS?

    DT = definition term, part of a DL (definition list). I use them for
    navigation these days.

    -Darrel

    darrel, Jan 13, 2006
  4. darrel

    Scott M. Guest

    Yeah, it's been so long since I've seen them, I forgot the name!

    Why not use CSS instead?

    Scott M., Jan 14, 2006
  5. darrel

    darrel Guest

    > Yeah, it's been so long since I've seen them, I forgot the name!
    >
    > Why not use CSS instead?

    CSS just styles your HTML. I still need to markup the navigation in html.
    DTs are nice as they can be used to clearly label the navigation areas. DLs
    are fairly semantic, structurally sound, and can easily be manipulated with
    the CSS.

    -Darrel

    darrel, Jan 19, 2006
  6. darrel

    Scott M. Guest

    The use of the <SPAN> tag along with CSS for positioning and the ID
    attribute along with DHTML for navigation would accomplish the same thing.
    <DT> and <DL> have been deprecated for some time now.

    :)

    Scott M., Jan 20, 2006
  7. darrel

    john smith Guest

    Scott M. wrote:
    > The use of the <SPAN> tag along with CSS for positioning and the ID
    > attribute along with DHTML for navigation would accomplish the same thing.
    > <DT> and <DL> have been deprecated for some time now.
    >
    > :)
    >

    > "darrel" <> wrote in message
    >>> Yeah, it's been so long since I've seen them, I forgot the name!
    >>>
    >>> Why not use CSS instead?

    >> CSS just styles your HTML. I still need to markup the navigation in html.
    >> DTs are nice as they can be used to clearly label the navigation areas.
    >> DLs are fairly semantic, structurally sound, and can easily be manipulated
    >> with the CSS.
    >>
    >> -Darrel

    I like to use a div (positionned with CSS) with lists (ul and ol for
    different levels, with li in them) in it (which are styled with CSS).
    Works very well, and I find using lists for this quite semantic too.
    Haven't had any issues with manged markup with VS either... But AFAIK,
    even though not commonly used, dl and dt aren't deprecated in xhtml
    (it's still part of the xhtml 1.1 list module)

    john smith, Jan 20, 2006
  8. darrel

    darrel Guest

    > The use of the <SPAN> tag along with CSS for positioning and the ID
    > attribute along with DHTML for navigation would accomplish the same thing.

    No, it wouldn't. Visually it might be the same, but semantically, they
    couldn't be further apart. SPANs mean absolutely nothing semantically. A DL
    gives much more semantic meaning to a list of links.

    > <DT> and <DL> have been deprecated for some time now.

    Are we talking about the same thing? Definition Lists are not deprecated and
    are an ideal solution for creating semantic menus.

    -Darrel

    darrel, Jan 23, 2006