VS.NET 2005 ASP.NET Component

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Michael Lang, Nov 27, 2006.

  1. Michael Lang

    Michael Lang Guest

    I have a class deriving from System.ComponentModel.Component.

    In VS 2003 I could drag it on to a web form. However I'm finding in VS 2005
    whilst it functions perfectly at runtime. At design time in VS.NET 2005 you
    can not drag the component on to a web form. When I select customize
    toolbox and select my dll containing the component I can see the component
    listed and checked. After clicking OK the component is not actually
    available in the toolbox. Selecting show all, displays the component
    however it is disabled (greyed out) and cannot be dragged on to a web form.

    This same component works in VS.NET 2005 as it did in 2003 for Winforms
    projects, but not Webforms.

    It seems VS.NET 2005 has decided that my component is not applicable to
    ASP.NET.

    I've attempted adding the System.Web.UI.ToolboxData attribute however it
    made no difference.

    Can anyone explain how VS.NET 2005 decides what is and what isn't an ASP.NET
    component?

    If you want code to replicate it...
    Just create an empty class derived from component.

    Michael

    Michael Lang, Nov 27, 2006

  2. Michael Lang

    Michael Lang Guest

    Well that was a surpirising lack of response for an issue that after some
    research turns out has been quite well known for quite some time. It seems
    this was widely discussed during the beta period...

    http://weblogs.asp.net/cazzu/archive/2005/05/28/ComponentsNotBack.aspx
    http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/ViewFeedback.aspx?FeedbackID=102242

    Basically the functionality my code relied on has been taken away and is now
    unavailable in VS 2005. It seems like you can no longer have components
    that work at design time with both windows forms and asp.net.

    Both the lack of response here and the changes that have been made seem
    extremely odd to me.

    Michael Lang, Nov 29, 2006