VS.NET 2005 .TMP Files with ASP.NET Website

mc

I'm using VS.NET 2005 to create C# asp.net web applications. During deveopment and debugging 9using
the "ASP.NET Development Server"), a number of .TMP files are created they have been for Class
files, Xml Files, aspx files. Once created, a file lock exists that closing VS doesn't clear, a lock
which is only cleared once I disconect the media that the project is stored on. after removing and
reinserting the media they can be deleted.

I now have a script that scans my solution directory and deletes the temp files. which saves having
to find the files each time.

I'm uisng Vista and the Files are stored on a Sandisk 1GB Memory stick.

The contents of the TMP files are the actually items themselves, for instance a class named "Class1"
might have a .TMP file named "Class1.cs~RFa98bc39.tmp" and it would be the same contents as
"Class1.cs". Thanks for any help!

TIA

MC

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi MC,

Which project mode you're using, the Web Site mode or the Web Application
Project mode?

I'm not sure if it's related to the fact that the project is stored on a
removable media, but I'm not aware that Visual Studio will create .TMP
files in the solution folder. it will create intermediate files in the bin
and obj folders (if you're using Web Application Project) but there're no
.TMP files that will be created.

Do you mean that even you closed Visual Studio (and the built-in asp.net
development server), there's still files being locked? If this is the case,
there might be some other processes (such as indexing service) locked them.
You can try to use Process Explorer
(http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/utilities/ProcessExplorer.msp
x): menu "Find/Find Handle or DLL" to search "TMP" and it should list which
process is locking which file.

Do you have installed any add-in or packages in your Visual Studio? Maybe
some addin could be using those temp files?

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

mc

I use the "Open WebSite" mode.

Even when I close Visual Studio and the dev'mt server the locks persist.

Unpluging and re inserting the memory stick resolves.

I have no addins.

Whilst browsing for other similar issues I've noticed This "Feature" has been noted by others,
anoyingly I seem to have lost the bookmark, The report was in one of the MS forums.

I'll have a look at the ProcessExplorer next time I can replicate the problem.

Regards

MC