VS.NET 2008: controls that involve images render as red X in design time, how to fix?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Ken Fine, Aug 6, 2008.

  1. Ken Fine

    Ken Fine Guest

    I've been living with a frustrating issue with VS.NET for some months now
    and I need to figure out what the problem is. Hopefully someone has run into
    the same issue and can suggest a fix. I suspect some permissions problem.

    I'm running VS.NET 2008 in Vista. Symptoms and observations:

    * ASP.NET's native ImageMap and Image controls work just fine and provide a
    design-time preview of images that are referenced via the ImageUrl property
    * Telerik's controls work just fine. This includes their older stuff as well
    as the more recent ASP.NET AJAX releases that bind all of the controls and
    their assets into one assembly.
    * Other VS.NET/ASP.NET controls that involve design-time display of images
    do NOT work fine in terms of providing the design-time image preview when
    referenced with anything besides an explicit path (e.g. ~/image.jpg as
    ImageUrl does not work.) . I get a red X instead. If I view the page on
    localhost or in deployment, the control works just fine. What's broken is
    the design-time preview of the image. This is problematic for controls that
    involve interaction with the image, e.g. this imagemap control with
    graphical designer: http://www.ewoodruff.us/EWSImageMaps.aspx
    * Reinforcing something from the last point, writing in an explicit path
    will force design-time image preview to work, e.g.: putting
    C:\Users\Me\Documents\Visual Studio
    2008\Projects\KILLTHIS\KILLTHIS\image.jpg as the ImageUrl will cause the
    control to work properly.
    * As a test I created a new Web project. The controls exhibited the same
    design-time error. The problem isn't limited to one website.
    * I tried enabling Full Control permissions for Users, Everyone, and Network
    Service on both the Projects folders and the Website folders. This did not
    resolve the problem.

    Any suggestions for where else I should be looking on this? Thanks much for
    your help.

    -KF

    Ken Fine, Aug 6, 2008

  2. Hi KF,

    From your description, you're encountering some problem with display the
    image(referneced in ASP.NET control) at design-time. As for the built-in
    ASP.NET Image/ImageMap controls, they just simply render the plain html in
    the design-time designer. For those controls that you find not work correct
    at design-time, are they custom webserver controls you created or some
    other built-in controls or 3rd party controls? If they're not built-in
    controls or not what you created, you can use reflector to inspect their
    rendering code or its designer class(if that control has applied one) to
    see what's its design-time displaying logic. BTW, would you please give me
    some example page markup for met to test locally?

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    ications.

    --------------------
    >From: "Ken Fine" <>
    >Subject: VS.NET 2008: controls that involve images render as red X in

    design time, how to fix?

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Aug 7, 2008

  3. Ken Fine

    Ken Fine Guest

    Thanks Steven. This issue is serious enough for my work that if you think I
    should initiate a MSDN support incident I will do that. I have a piece of
    information that may help us reach resolution: the application may be
    confused about where its root is, but I do not know how to fix that. Please
    read on.

    These are all third party controls. They include:
    http://www.ewoodruff.us/EWSImageMaps.aspx
    http://www.amarantin.se/
    http://www.neodynamic.com/Products/IDWebC/ImageDrawWebControl.aspx?tabid=24&prodid=4

    I did not have these problems in VS.NET 2005.

    My background isn't in computer science so while I understand what you mean
    by using reflection to inspect the controls' output, I have no idea how to
    do that. I am using C#.

    Now for the nugget of information that may help us.

    I made a document called test.aspx and placed it in a subfolder of my app
    called /test. The following three declarations of the controls did not show
    up in design time, but they did render when previewed:
    <EWSI:ImageMap ID="ImageMap1" runat="server"
    ImageUrl="/whatever.jpg" />
    <neoimg:ImageDraw ID="ImageDraw1" runat="server"
    CacheExpiresAtDateTime="">
    <Elements>
    <neoimg:polygonShapeElement Font-Name="50's Yesterdings JL"
    Font-Size="8"
    Height="65" Name="766BBA45A5A146D9B6D0018DBAD6DB32"
    Sides="6"
    StrokeFill-BackgroundColor="Black"
    TextPadding-Bottom="0" TextPadding-Left="0"
    TextPadding-Right="0" TextPadding-Top="0" Width="67">
    </neoimg:polygonShapeElement>
    </Elements>
    <Canvas Fill-BackgroundColor="255, 255, 255"
    Fill-ForegroundColor="0, 0, 0"
    Fill-GradientColor1="255, 255, 255" Fill-GradientColor2="0,
    0, 0" Height="65"
    Width="67" />
    </neoimg:ImageDraw>
    <WebPack2:ImageText ID="ImageText1" Runat="server" Text="ImageText">
    </WebPack2:ImageText>

    Consider the first item, an enhanced ImageMap control. It exhibited the
    following behaviors:
    * When the ImageUrl was described as /whatever.jpg, it did NOT show in
    design time but did show when viewed in the browser
    * When the ImageUrl was described as ~/whatever.jpg, it did NOT show in
    design time OR when viewed in the browser
    * When the ImageUrl was described as ../whatever.jpg, it DID show in design
    time and DID render in the browser

    The application is located in
    C:\Users\My Name\Documents\Visual Studio 2008\WebSites\MyWebSite

    I think this may be the clue we need. It seems the controls don't understand
    where the root of the application is. Can you suggest what I should be
    looking at?

    Thanks for all your help, Steven.

    Ken Fine, Aug 7, 2008
  4. Thanks for your reply KF,

    For "reflector" tool, it is a utility (written by a MSFT engineer) which
    can help inspect disassembly code of most .NET assemblies. In case you
    have interests , you can download it and try using it, it's quite useful on
    troubleshooting based on my experience.

    http://www.aisto.com/roeder/dotnet/

    For your scenario, I've got it much clearer now. Actually the image
    displaying problem(at design-time) occurs over those enhanced image
    controls from a 3rd party control package. Also, as you mentioned that the
    following path:

    ~/...
    /.....

    not work and

    ../ path works,

    I think it is definitely an control implementation problem. Though I
    haven't checked the source code of those 3rd party controls, I think that
    those controls doesn't provided much support for design-time image path
    resolution.

    Currently, my suggestion is that if possible, you should first contract the
    3rd party control's vendor to see whether they have any update or quick fix
    on such issues. And even if you submit this problem to Microsoft CSS, it
    is likely that they'll inspect the control source and narrow down the
    problelm to the control's implementation. It will also require you to
    contact the control vendor for the direct fix.

    If you have anything unclear or any other questions on this, please feel
    free to let me know.

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    .

    ications.

    --------------------
    >From: "Ken Fine" <>

    <T8qdKPG#>
    >Subject: Re: VS.NET 2008: controls that involve images render as red X in

    design time, how to fix?

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Aug 8, 2008
  5. Hi KF,

    Any progress on this issue? Or is there still anything I can help?

    Sincerely,

    Steven Cheng

    Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

    suggestions about how we

    can improve the support we provide to you. Please feel free to let my
    manager know what you think of

    the level of service provided. You can send feedback directly to my manager
    at: .

    Steven Cheng [MSFT], Aug 12, 2008