VS.NET, ASP.NET - using via Frontpage Ext, now via SHAREPOINT?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Gerry Hickman, Dec 13, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    We are currently running VS.NET clients against a Windows 2000 server
    which has Frontpage server extensions; this means we can have teams of
    developers interacting on web applications from remote locations over
    HTTP without firewall issues.

    However, Frontpage extensions have now been discontinued and replaced by
    Windows Sharepoint Services (WSS) on Windows Server 2003. This means
    that if we want to be able to work "live" or publish via HTTP we'll need
    to use VS.NET with Sharepoint instead.

    However, it would seem that Sharepoint would require all ASPX files and
    other content to be stored in an SQL server database as opposed to the
    FileSystem so the ability to directly open a file over SMB/NetBIOS in
    notepad (or whatever) is lost. I'm not sure I like that idea...

    Has anyone tried integrating their Visual Studio projects with
    Sharepoint? I can't find any reference to this on Microsoft's site;
    everything on their site is about using "web parts" with .NET as opposed
    to setting up a collaborative developer environment with works at remote
    locations.

    --
    Gerry Hickman (London UK)

    Gerry Hickman, Dec 13, 2005

  2. On 12/13/05 11:27, in article OBXF#, "Gerry
    Hickman" <> wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > We are currently running VS.NET clients against a Windows 2000 server
    > which has Frontpage server extensions; this means we can have teams of
    > developers interacting on web applications from remote locations over
    > HTTP without firewall issues.
    >
    > However, Frontpage extensions have now been discontinued and replaced by
    > Windows Sharepoint Services (WSS) on Windows Server 2003. This means
    > that if we want to be able to work "live" or publish via HTTP we'll need
    > to use VS.NET with Sharepoint instead.
    >
    > However, it would seem that Sharepoint would require all ASPX files and
    > other content to be stored in an SQL server database as opposed to the
    > FileSystem so the ability to directly open a file over SMB/NetBIOS in
    > notepad (or whatever) is lost. I'm not sure I like that idea...
    >
    > Has anyone tried integrating their Visual Studio projects with
    > Sharepoint? I can't find any reference to this on Microsoft's site;
    > everything on their site is about using "web parts" with .NET as opposed
    > to setting up a collaborative developer environment with works at remote
    > locations.

    VS 2005 does not target Sharepoint Web sites. The best idea is to use
    FrontPage. VS 2005 is compatible with FrontPage, you can freely move files
    between applications so you can use VS to debug ASP.NET code and FP to
    design the site.

    Thanks
    Mikhail Arkhipov (Microsoft)
    -- This post is provided 'AS IS' with no warranties and confers no rights

    Mikhail Arkhipov (Microsoft), Dec 14, 2005

  3. Hi Mikhail,

    Thanks for the reply, but I think you misunderstood. I'm not asking how
    to design a web page or move a file. I'm talking about enterprise server
    infrastructure, and Microsoft's web server extension technologies.

    In VS.NET 2003 there's an option for each project to choose between
    "Frontpage" and "File Share". Frontpage in this context does not have
    anything to do with Frontpage (as used in Office); it means is that you
    want to use team collaboration and/or source control with IIS over HTTP.

    If you choose "File Share" then you'll only be able to open, build and
    debug your VS.NET projects while you're on the LAN, but if you choose
    "Frontpage" you can open your VS.NET project from any computer anywhere
    in the world even if there's a firewall in the way. This is a very quick
    way of allowing external consultants to have their own sub-web on your
    server from which they can publish with one button when the project is
    ready to go live. It also means they don't need a domain account or
    access to network resources via UNC paths.

    Now I've explained that, are there any server Admins reading this that
    could review the question below and offer any advice?

    Gerry Hickman, Dec 14, 2005