VS.NET Compiler performance - follow-up

Martin

The original question is at the bottom:

What OS are you using?
Windows 2000 Server SP3 with VS.NET 2003

How much memory do you have?
512MB, of which typically at least half is available...

Is /GL (whole program optimization) enabled?
No, this is a debug build but it's the same with a release build and
then yes, it's presumably on.

Could you please share your project's compiler and linker command-line
options?

compiler:

/Od /G7 /D "_DEBUG" /D "WIN32" /D "_WINDOWS" /FD /EHsc /MTd
/Yu"stdafx.h"
/Fp".\Debug/css.pch" /Fo"q:\css\Debug/" /Fd".\Debug/" /FR".\Debug/"
/W3 /nologo /c
/ZI /Gz /TP

(NB: drive Q: is the ramdisk, but as I mentioned it's not large enough
to fit all of the files on)

linker:

/OUT:".\Debug/css.exe" /INCREMENTAL /NOLOGO /DELAYLOAD:"OleAcc.dll"
/DEBUG /PDB:".\Debug/css.pdb" /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /MACHINE:X86
ltkrn_n.lib ltfil_n.lib ltdis_n.lib ltimg_n.lib rpcrt4.lib mpr.lib
odbc32.lib DelayImp.lib
\Dev\Sites\src\t2bill\Debug\t2bill.lib DelayImp.lib

Other things to check:

Try disabling /YX (automatic pre-compiled headers).
PCH is created explicitly not automatically (see command-line above)

Check your build dependancies to see if you have a project-to-project
dependancy. Sometimes projects imported from vc6 will be given
dependancies that will cause the other project to be rebuilt for each
file.
Not quite sure what you mean; the dependancies look OK. But I think I
would have noticed this happening.......??

It's definitely looking as if it's doing a full flush-file-to-disk
after each output file is written.