VS.Net IDE hangs when pinning toolbar

Tom Dacon

I can't find any hits in groups search on this, so I'll try a fresh post:

Vs.Net 2003 has recently started hanging when I try to pin the toolbar. The
framework 1.1 service pack 1 has been installed, but I don't know if this
started happening after I installed it. I've certainly only recently noticed
the problem, and I believe (but can't be certain) that it's since the
service pack was put on. The only way out of it seems to be killing the
application via the Task Manager.

Anyone else seeing this, and know what's going on?

Thanks,
Tom Dacon
Dacon Software Consulting

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Tom,

From your description, it seems that your VS.NET IDE will hang when you
just try pining a toolbar (whatever toolbar in the IDE?). Also, does the
problem occurs only in ASP.NET web project or occur in every kind of
projects. What about creating a new simple project , will it also suffer
the issue?
In addition, is there any other operations(other than pining a toolbar )
that will cause the problem, too?
Please have a check and let me know. Also, if you have any other infos
,please feel free to post here. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Tom Dacon

Just getting back to this issue after getting pulled off onto something else
for a week or two -

I can no longer reproduce this problem. For a while it failed consistently
whenever I had a form open in design view, in either an ASP.Net project or a
Windows Forms project. Bringing up VS.Net after a fresh reboot didn't have
any effect on the problem. Sometime later the problem started to 'get well',
and I formed the notion that at that time it was failing if I had the Start
Page open but with a form or web page open in design view on top of it. I
was just in the process of doing some differential diagnosis to see if I
could isolate the problem when I got pulled off to another project. I'm back
on this now but the freeze is no longer happening.

Thanks for your attention, and I'll get back on the group with another post
if the problem recurs. By the way, I've noticed a couple of other posts for
the same problem since I posted my original message.

Thanks,
Tom Dacon
Dacon Software Consulting

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your followup, Tom.
Yes, there are some other threads in the newsgroup on the VSNET IDE issue
and most of them are caused by different causes such as ANTI VIRUS tool or
firewall client ...
Anyway, if you meet this problem again, please feel free to post here or in
the VS.NET ide group.
Good luck!:)

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

Steven,

I originally ran across Tom's post concerning the toolbar hangproblem and then saw your response here. I am experiencing thesame problem that Tom saw. After starting VS .NET 2003 if wetry to pin open the toolbar and do nothing else deveng goes to astate of approx 50% system processor usage and sits there andappears to cause deveng to hang. This doesn't happen everytime,about the same consistency as flipping a coin. We firstdiscovered this from a student here at the college who tried topin the toolbar open late into a project and then lost the wholeworks because of the hang. Seems to be reproducable on all 112of our workstations here in the main lab. I don't recall havingthe problem prior to doing Office 2003 installations and XPupdates prior to this term starting in Sept. 2004. I haven'tbeen able to find a lot of information about the issue, beenlooking for the VSNET IDE issue you mentioned. Would you haveany other information about causes and problems with antivirusetc.?

Thanks,

Derek Nelson
Portland Community College
(e-mail address removed)
Thanks for your followup, Tom.
Yes, there are some other threads in the newsgroup on the VSNETIDE issue
and most of them are caused by different causes such as ANTIVIRUS tool or
firewall client ...
Anyway, if you meet this problem again, please feel free topost here or in
the VS.NET ide group.
Good luck!:)

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
(This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, andconfers no
rights.)
User submitted from AEWNET (http://www.aewnet.com/)

John Tenney

Roger Bucks sent me the following message about this behavior:

I just had a similar problem to you regarding the pushpin on the toolbox
window lockup in VS Studio. There is another google groups thread that
sorted out the problem for me at:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=...&rnum=3&prev=/groups?q=pin+toolbox+hang&hl=en

Basically, if you have the server window on the same dock side as the
toolbox, pushing the pin causes the server window to lock the environment
up. Moving the server window away from the toobox dock seems to sort the
problem out.

Apologies in advance for emailing you directly, rather than through the
newsgroups, or if I've been no help but I unfortunately don't have newsgroup
access at work. If this does help you out, I would appreciate it if you
could follow up with the newsgroup for me.

Thanks,

Roger Bucks