VS2003: Error Adding Existing Item - <FileURL> does not refer to p

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?U2ltb25EZXY=?=, Oct 11, 2005.

  1. I've recently installed Visual Studio 2003 on my local machine. Although it
    seems to be working fine in most respects I find I cannot add existing items
    to my project.

    Specifically, I have copied an existing user control (.ascx, .ascx.cs,
    ..ascx.resx files) to the UserControls sub-folder of the project I am working
    on. When I right-click on the UserControls sub-folder in the VS Solution
    Explorer and Add-Add Existing Item, I get the following error message when I
    try to add the new user control:

    'Unable to get file <FileURL> from the Web server. Server error: <FileURL>
    does not refer to a page or folder in this web. It may be a page or folder
    in a subweb, or it could be a badly formed URL.'

    I have tried adding the user control with the control in its original folder
    (ie not in a sub-folder of my project). I get the same error message.

    This seems to be the same error that has popped up numerous times in the
    FrontPage newsgroup so I assume it's got something to do with FrontPage
    Extensions. However, I haven't been able to find a solution on the FrontPage
    newsgroup.

    Any ideas?

    Cheers
    Si

    --
    Si
    =?Utf-8?B?U2ltb25EZXY=?=, Oct 11, 2005

  2. =?Utf-8?B?U2ltb25EZXY=?=

    CT Guest

    Simon,

    Have you tried selecting the project in Solution Explorer, clicking Show All
    Files, right-clicking the UserControl, and then clicking Include In Project?

    --
    Carsten Thomsen
    Communities - http://community.integratedsolutions.dk

    CT, Oct 11, 2005

  3. Re: VS2003: Error Adding Existing Item - <FileURL> does not refer

    Fantastic Carsten! That worked perfectly. Thanks a lot.

    Cheers
    Si

    --
    Si