VS2003, VSS 6d and recreating virtual mappings

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by westerdaled, Feb 1, 2006.

  1. westerdaled

    westerdaled Guest

    Hi there

    For my sins I am responsible for continuous integration of a number of
    solutions using CruiseControl.NET. I have the following solution structures:

    - Place solution and project files in a single folder structure: I create a
    root level solution folder with each project residing in its own subfolder in
    this root level folder
    - Web Service and ASP.NET projects are created by mapping virtual
    directories to
    their project folders via an url ( e.g http://localhost/MyWebServiceWS)
    - Projects are successfully added to VSS under a newly created solution
    folder then I bind the solution to VSS ( so avoiding all the usual traps!)

    All well and good however, when any of my developers want to checkout their
    solutions from VSS (knowing nothing about the previous virtual mappings) using
    VS 2003 and File->Source Control->Open from Source Control; then VS 2003 does
    recreate the virtual mappings but this time under c:\Inetput\wwwroot rather
    than
    recreating the previous project directory structure under the solution root
    foler.

    Is there anyway arround this using 3rd party addins, Nant, NAntContrib etc.
    or is this something I must learn to live with?

    Thanks in advance ( incidentally this is my first post) also please let me
    know if there is a better discussion group for this type of question.

    --
    Regards

    Daniel
    westerdaled, Feb 1, 2006

  2. Hi Daniel,

    Based on your description, I understand that you need to check out the Web
    projects to certain folder and create the virtual directory mapping in IIS
    automatically. If there is any misunderstanding here, please feel free to
    let me know.

    As far as I know, this cannot be done automatically with VSS. It will
    always check out the website to the wwwroot. What you can do is set the
    working folder for that project to the desired path and check it out. Then
    create a virtual directory in IIS manually which points to that folder. I
    don't know any 3rd party addins that can have this done. Maybe some other
    community member can shed some light on this.

    Kevin Yu
    =======
    rights."
    Kevin Yu [MSFT], Feb 2, 2006

  3. westerdaled

    westerdaled Guest

    Kevin

    Thanks for you advice. I don't mind if my developers have do something
    everytime they checkout these types of projects. I just would just prefer to
    keep all solution artefacts in one place.

    When you mentioned setting the working folder to the desired location well
    my understanding is that this must be located via a valid URL; either when
    you create
    Web Service or ASP.NET projects in the first place or through the mechanism
    I described when the entire solution is obtained from VSS.

    I am getting very familiar with NAnt so I could write a bootstrap script to
    automatically create virtual dirs at the desired locations however I don't
    want VS2003 trying to recreate these ( and create all those ????_1, ???_2
    dirs) when I next open the solution.

    --
    Regards

    Daniel

    westerdaled, Feb 2, 2006
  4. Hi Daniel,

    If you open the solution from source control in VS2003, it will always
    create the project folder under the default website root for you. You can
    try to get it directly from VSS Explorer and use NAnt to put the folder
    into the desired path.

    Kevin Yu
    =======
    rights."
    Kevin Yu [MSFT], Feb 3, 2006
  5. westerdaled

    westerdaled Guest

    Kevin

    Thanks for that. I can use NANTContrib to handle the mappings however, it
    remains to be seen if VS2003 will behave itself if it sees the mappings are
    already
    in place i.e I have no doubt my solution root folder will contain WS_1, WS_2
    etc. directories that are created each time I open the solution. I'll just
    learn to live with this.

    Regards

    Daniel

    --
    Regards

    Daniel

    westerdaled, Feb 6, 2006
  6. Hi Daniel,

    The web projects are opened from a virtual directory in VS.NET 2003. If you
    have mapped the virtual dir into the correct folder, I don't think VS2003
    will again behave itself.

    Kevin Yu
    =======
    rights."
    Kevin Yu [MSFT], Feb 7, 2006
  7. westerdaled

    westerdaled Guest

    Kevin,

    I have stumbled on a post that might help:
    http://www.avocadosoftware.com/csblogs/dredge/archive/2005/02/09/VSNET_VSS_AddToVSS.aspx

    Check out the post by Jerry though I don't understand why he would want to
    "Manually delete all csproj & source safe files" .
    Will this avoid the issues we've been discussing.

    Regards

    Daniel

    --
    Regards

    Daniel

    westerdaled, Feb 7, 2006
  8. Hi Daniel,

    I think he means to delete all the files that has been get to the local
    working folder. Thus, VS.NET will not put the web project to wwwroot again.
    Have you tried it?

    Kevin Yu
    =======
    rights."
    Kevin Yu [MSFT], Feb 8, 2006
  9. westerdaled

    westerdaled Guest

    Kevin

    I am not sure what you mean as
    1) if you keep that web project folder under solution root, get latest then
    open
    vs 2003 you bet _1 _2 etc project folers created
    2) you delete all virtual dirs and web project folders then project from
    open Source Control then VS 2003 creates the virtual dirs but under
    inetpub\wwwroot.

    I have now documented my CI (CCNet) work for the team and this the only bit
    this unclear.

    --
    Regards

    Daniel

    westerdaled, Feb 16, 2006
  10. Hi Daniel,

    1. If you're opening the project from VS.NET using "Open from source
    control", the project folder will be created under wwwroot.
    2. The same as above.

    Kevin Yu
    =======
    rights."