VS2005/ASP.NET/C#: Can't Switch To Component Designer

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Simon, Jun 7, 2007.

  1. Simon

    Simon Guest

    Hi All,

    When I open a web form, even a relatively simple one, I don't see
    data
    controls that have previously been availble for me to configure. And
    if I right-click to "View Component Designer", I receive an error.
    Here's an example from a simple form:

    "One or more errors encountered while loading the designer. The
    errors
    are listed below. Some errors can be fixed by rebuilding your
    project,
    while others may require code changes."

    The variable 'btnRefresh' is either undeclared or was never assigned.
    Hide

    at
    System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomSerializerBase.Error(IDes­
    ignerSerializationManager
    manager, String exceptionText, String helpLink)
    at
    System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.CodeDomSerializerBase.Deserializ­
    eExpression(IDesignerSerializationManager
    manager, String name, CodeExpression expression)
    at
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Web.WebForms.ControlCodeDomSerializer.DeserializeLef­
    t(IDesignerSerializationManager
    manager, CodeStatement statement)
    at
    Microsoft.VisualStudio.Web.WebForms.ControlCodeDomSerializer.Deserialize(ID­
    esignerSerializationManager
    manager, Object codeObject)
    at
    System.ComponentModel.Design.Serialization.TypeCodeDomSerializer.Deserializ­
    eName(IDesignerSerializationManager
    manager, String name, CodeStatementCollection statements)

    This all worked fine until recently. The only change that I can
    recall
    making is to install Visual Studio Tools for Office, but, since I am
    not sure sure it is the cause, I don't want it to detract too much
    from the principal problem. In any case, I have removed the VSTO
    components and the problem still persists.

    Can anyone assist?

    Many thanks!

    Simon Lane

    Simon, Jun 7, 2007