VS2005 - unable to create a website in IIS

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rob Meade, Nov 1, 2005.

  1. Rob Meade

    Rob Meade Guest

    Hi all,

    I have installed VS2005 in an attempt to start writing some nice new .net
    2.0 pages....alas...

    Running on a laptop - XP Pro - I have Frontpage Server Extensions Installed,
    O/S is all patched up to the hilt etc..

    When I try to either create or open a website on the local host I get an
    error telling me how Visual Web Developer cannot create/open a website on a
    SharePoint web server.

    When I look under IIS on the properties screen, low and behold it says
    "Microsoft SharePoint is installed on this Web Site"...

    I have no idea what installed this, perhaps when I downloaded FPSE2002 from
    the MS webby? I assumed this was the Server Extensions - but from some
    forums online it looks like SE could also stand for SharePoint
    Extensions....erk! So - now I have no idea how to remove these, its not
    listed under Add/Remove Programs, or as a component.

    Could someone advise me as to what I might be able to do to rectify this - I
    have no websites on this laptop that I need to keep or anything so am more
    than happy to try removing things willy nilly :eek:)

    Cheers for any help

    Rob
    Rob Meade, Nov 1, 2005

  2. Rob Meade wrote:
    > I have installed VS2005 in an attempt to start writing some nice new
    > .net 2.0 pages....alas...
    >
    > Running on a laptop - XP Pro - I have Frontpage Server Extensions
    > Installed, O/S is all patched up to the hilt etc..
    >
    > When I try to either create or open a website on the local host I get
    > an error telling me how Visual Web Developer cannot create/open a
    > website on a SharePoint web server.
    >
    > When I look under IIS on the properties screen, low and behold it says
    > "Microsoft SharePoint is installed on this Web Site"...

    Hi Rob,

    This problem is caused by the _sharepoint vdir that FPSE 2002 create. Your
    options are simple. Either remove the Server Extensions or uninstall 2002
    and install FrontPage Server Extensions 2000.

    If you want to remove them, simply right-click on the Web site in IIS and
    point to Tasks. Choose Remove Server Extensions 2002.

    --
    Jim Cheshire
    JIMCO Software
    JIMCO Software, Nov 1, 2005