VS2005 - unable to create a website in IIS

Rob Meade

Hi all,

I have installed VS2005 in an attempt to start writing some nice new .net
2.0 pages....alas...

Running on a laptop - XP Pro - I have Frontpage Server Extensions Installed,
O/S is all patched up to the hilt etc..

When I try to either create or open a website on the local host I get an
error telling me how Visual Web Developer cannot create/open a website on a
SharePoint web server.

When I look under IIS on the properties screen, low and behold it says
"Microsoft SharePoint is installed on this Web Site"...

I have no idea what installed this, perhaps when I downloaded FPSE2002 from
the MS webby? I assumed this was the Server Extensions - but from some
forums online it looks like SE could also stand for SharePoint
Extensions....erk! So - now I have no idea how to remove these, its not
listed under Add/Remove Programs, or as a component.

Could someone advise me as to what I might be able to do to rectify this - I
have no websites on this laptop that I need to keep or anything so am more
than happy to try removing things willy nilly :eek:)

Cheers for any help

Rob

JIMCO Software

Rob said:
I have installed VS2005 in an attempt to start writing some nice new
.net 2.0 pages....alas...

Running on a laptop - XP Pro - I have Frontpage Server Extensions
Installed, O/S is all patched up to the hilt etc..

When I try to either create or open a website on the local host I get
an error telling me how Visual Web Developer cannot create/open a
website on a SharePoint web server.

When I look under IIS on the properties screen, low and behold it says
"Microsoft SharePoint is installed on this Web Site"...

Hi Rob,

This problem is caused by the _sharepoint vdir that FPSE 2002 create. Your
options are simple. Either remove the Server Extensions or uninstall 2002
and install FrontPage Server Extensions 2000.

If you want to remove them, simply right-click on the Web site in IIS and
point to Tasks. Choose Remove Server Extensions 2002.