VS2005 - Unable to open local iis site other than localhost

Brad

I have a win2003 server workstation with multiple webs, each web has it's
own ip address. In VS2005, if I select to open an existing web site, select
Local IIS, the dialog correctly displays a list of all of my webs, however
if I attempt to open a site under and web other than localhost I receive the
message:
"Unable to open the Web 'http://localhost/anywebappname'. The Web
'http://localhost/anywebappname' does not exist"

Obviously that's not true as I can (1) open a site under any local web in VS
2003 and (2) I can open the same site in VS 2005 using File System instead.
It would seem either something is not setup correctly or I have encountered
a bug.

Brad

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Brad,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
Regarding on the open multiple local websites (with distinct ip address) in
vs 2005 problem, I think it maybe configuration specific. Is each site
(local) explicitly being assigned an ip address that mapped to a network
adapter? Also, have you used other host headers or port on those sites
other than local host(default site)? I've just performed some tests on my
local WIN 2K3 svr box, (with two network apdaters each assigned an IP
address), after that I can correctly open or create new asp.net 2.0 website
in both the two sites in IIS from VS 2005.... (through the LOCAL IIS
panel)...

So I think there should be some other setting cause the problem. Would you
provide some furhter info on your local network environment condition and
the IIS's IP setting ....
BTW, for vs 2003, it use file share or fpse to connect a certain
webapplication in IIS(local or remote), while in vs 2005, it only use file
share (not fpse) to connection local IIS websites....

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "Brad" <[email protected]>
| Subject: VS2005 - Unable to open local iis site other than localhost
| Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 10:33:19 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I have a win2003 server workstation with multiple webs, each web has it's
| own ip address. In VS2005, if I select to open an existing web site,
select
| Local IIS, the dialog correctly displays a list of all of my webs,
however
| if I attempt to open a site under and web other than localhost I receive
the
| message:
| "Unable to open the Web 'http://localhost/anywebappname'. The Web
| 'http://localhost/anywebappname' does not exist"
|
| Obviously that's not true as I can (1) open a site under any local web in
VS
| 2003 and (2) I can open the same site in VS 2005 using File System
instead.
| It would seem either something is not setup correctly or I have
encountered
| a bug.
|

| Brad

Brad

I do not have an adapter per ip address. My pc has one dedicated ip address
and multiple reserved ip addresses, registered in the hosts file which only
work locally. No host headers or ports on any of the sites.

Here is sample form my hosts file (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)

127.0.0.1 localhost

### Reserved Addresses for my local sites
192.168.0.10 ecommerce
192.168.0.11 portal
192.168.0.12 public
192.168.0.13 appserver
192.168.0.14 developer

This all works fine in IIS and works with VS2003

Brad

Hi Brad,

Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
Regarding on the open multiple local websites (with distinct ip address) in
vs 2005 problem, I think it maybe configuration specific. Is each site
(local) explicitly being assigned an ip address that mapped to a network
adapter? Also, have you used other host headers or port on those sites
other than local host(default site)? I've just performed some tests on my
local WIN 2K3 svr box, (with two network apdaters each assigned an IP
address), after that I can correctly open or create new asp.net 2.0 website
in both the two sites in IIS from VS 2005.... (through the LOCAL IIS
panel)...

So I think there should be some other setting cause the problem. Would you
provide some furhter info on your local network environment condition and
the IIS's IP setting ....
BTW, for vs 2003, it use file share or fpse to connect a certain
webapplication in IIS(local or remote), while in vs 2005, it only use file
share (not fpse) to connection local IIS websites....

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: "Brad" <[email protected]>
| Subject: VS2005 - Unable to open local iis site other than localhost
| Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 10:33:19 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I have a win2003 server workstation with multiple webs, each web has it's
| own ip address. In VS2005, if I select to open an existing web site,
select
| Local IIS, the dialog correctly displays a list of all of my webs,
however
| if I attempt to open a site under and web other than localhost I receive
the
| message:
| "Unable to open the Web 'http://localhost/anywebappname'. The Web
| 'http://localhost/anywebappname' does not exist"
|
| Obviously that's not true as I can (1) open a site under any local web in
VS
| 2003 and (2) I can open the same site in VS 2005 using File System
instead.
| It would seem either something is not setup correctly or I have
encountered
| a bug.
|

| Brad

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Brad,

Thanks for your response.
Well, after some further tests, I've found the problem you met. Actually,
this is because the VS 2005 IDE's Open Site wizard's Local IIS option only
use "localhost" as the servername when opening site, that cause it always
be forwarded to the default site. And for your other sites on the machine,
I'm not sure whether you've installed Front page server extension on it, if
you've installed it , you can use the "Remote Site" option to open them
through the "http://ip address/....." url that will let the vs 2005 IDE to
open the site through FPSE ...

Also, for the local IIS with mutltiple IP sites, I'll also consult some
other IIS/vs2005 experts to see whether this is an existing issue. I'll
also update you soon.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: "Brad" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: VS2005 - Unable to open local iis site other than localhost
| Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 07:35:11 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| I do not have an adapter per ip address. My pc has one dedicated ip
address
| and multiple reserved ip addresses, registered in the hosts file which
only
| work locally. No host headers or ports on any of the sites.
|
| Here is sample form my hosts file (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)
|
| 127.0.0.1 localhost
|
| ### Reserved Addresses for my local sites
| 192.168.0.10 ecommerce
| 192.168.0.11 portal
| 192.168.0.12 public
| 192.168.0.13 appserver
| 192.168.0.14 developer
|

| This all works fine in IIS and works with VS2003
|
| Brad
|

| | Hi Brad,
|
| Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
| Regarding on the open multiple local websites (with distinct ip address)
in
| vs 2005 problem, I think it maybe configuration specific. Is each site
| (local) explicitly being assigned an ip address that mapped to a network
| adapter? Also, have you used other host headers or port on those sites
| other than local host(default site)? I've just performed some tests on
my
| local WIN 2K3 svr box, (with two network apdaters each assigned an IP
| address), after that I can correctly open or create new asp.net 2.0
website
| in both the two sites in IIS from VS 2005.... (through the LOCAL IIS
| panel)...
|
| So I think there should be some other setting cause the problem. Would you
| provide some furhter info on your local network environment condition and
| the IIS's IP setting ....
| BTW, for vs 2003, it use file share or fpse to connect a certain
| webapplication in IIS(local or remote), while in vs 2005, it only use file
| share (not fpse) to connection local IIS websites....
|
| Regards,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
| --------------------
| | From: "Brad" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: VS2005 - Unable to open local iis site other than localhost
| | Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 10:33:19 -0800
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| |
| | I have a win2003 server workstation with multiple webs, each web has
it's
| | own ip address. In VS2005, if I select to open an existing web site,
| select
| | Local IIS, the dialog correctly displays a list of all of my webs,
| however
| | if I attempt to open a site under and web other than localhost I receive
| the
| | message:
| | "Unable to open the Web 'http://localhost/anywebappname'. The Web
| | 'http://localhost/anywebappname' does not exist"
| |
| | Obviously that's not true as I can (1) open a site under any local web
in
| VS
| | 2003 and (2) I can open the same site in VS 2005 using File System
| instead.
| | It would seem either something is not setup correctly or I have
| encountered
| | a bug.
| |
| |
| | Brad
| |
| |
| |

Brad

Steven -
I did some experimenting and found:
-- If I attempt to open a site by opening the previous VS2003 solution it
fails as it seems to want front page extensions (cannot event get as far as
the migration wizard). Based on your statement about remotes sites and
FPSE, it would seem VS2005 thinks it is a remote site and without FPSE. I
added FPSE to the webs but continued to get the same error, that is cannot
open the site without FPSE.

-- If I add a host header to each webs I previously noted then the I can
open them through the open site wizard and through a VS2003 solution
(migration wizard successfully runs against the site). Note, I removed the
FPSE from the webs prior to this (I normally do not have FPSE)

I'm not sure if that tells us I had something set up incorrectly or if there
is a problem is VS2005 that I have managed to work around...or both.

> [...]

it's
| | own ip address. In VS2005, if I select to open an existing web site,
| select
| | Local IIS, the dialog correctly displays a list of all of my webs,
| however
| | if I attempt to open a site under and web other than localhost I receive
| the
| | message:
| | "Unable to open the Web 'http://localhost/anywebappname'. The Web
| | 'http://localhost/anywebappname' does not exist"
| |
| | Obviously that's not true as I can (1) open a site under any local web
in
| VS
| | 2003 and (2) I can open the same site in VS 2005 using File System
| instead.
| | It would seem either something is not setup correctly or I have
| |
| |
| | Brad
| |
| |
| |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Brad,

Well, I've just discussed with some other VS guys and for multiple sites on
the same machine, if we want to open them in VS 2005 through LOCAL IIS
option, we may need to either separate those sites through different port
number or Host Headers. I've performed some tests in my local windows 2003
server and that works. I used host headers to distinct each site and I can
open them through the sites listed in the VS 2005 local iis list(vs 2005
will use the host header url to open the site...).... Also, no FPSE is
needed.. I think you can also have a try on this to see whether this
helps. Thanks,

> [...]

| Also, for the local IIS with mutltiple IP sites, I'll also consult some
| other IIS/vs2005 experts to see whether this is an existing issue. I'll
| also update you soon.
|
| Regards,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|

| --------------------
| | From: "Brad" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: VS2005 - Unable to open local iis site other than localhost
| | Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 07:35:11 -0800
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| |
| | I do not have an adapter per ip address. My pc has one dedicated ip
| address
| | and multiple reserved ip addresses, registered in the hosts file which
| only
| | work locally. No host headers or ports on any of the sites.
| |
| | ### Reserved Addresses for my local sites
| | 192.168.0.10 ecommerce
| | 192.168.0.11 portal
| | 192.168.0.12 public
| | 192.168.0.13 appserver
| | 192.168.0.14 developer
| |
| |
| | This all works fine in IIS and works with VS2003
| |
| | Brad
| |
| |
| |
| |
| | Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
| | Regarding on the open multiple local websites (with distinct ip address)
| in
| | vs 2005 problem, I think it maybe configuration specific. Is each site
| | (local) explicitly being assigned an ip address that mapped to a network
| | adapter? Also, have you used other host headers or port on those sites
| | other than local host(default site)? I've just performed some tests on
| my
| | local WIN 2K3 svr box, (with two network apdaters each assigned an IP
| | address), after that I can correctly open or create new asp.net 2.0
| website
| | in both the two sites in IIS from VS 2005.... (through the LOCAL IIS
| | panel)...
| |
| | So I think there should be some other setting cause the problem. Would
you
| | provide some furhter info on your local network environment condition
and
| | the IIS's IP setting ....
| | BTW, for vs 2003, it use file share or fpse to connect a certain
| | webapplication in IIS(local or remote), while in vs 2005, it only use
file
| | share (not fpse) to connection local IIS websites....
| |
| | Regards,
| |
| | Steven Cheng
| | Microsoft Online Support
| |
| | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| | rights.)
| | --------------------
| | | From: "Brad" <[email protected]>
| | | Subject: VS2005 - Unable to open local iis site other than localhost
| | | Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 10:33:19 -0800
| | | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| | |
| | | I have a win2003 server workstation with multiple webs, each web has
| it's
| | | own ip address. In VS2005, if I select to open an existing web site,
| | select
| | | Local IIS, the dialog correctly displays a list of all of my webs,
| | however
| | | if I attempt to open a site under and web other than localhost I
receive
| | the
| | | message:
| | | "Unable to open the Web 'http://localhost/anywebappname'. The Web
| | | 'http://localhost/anywebappname' does not exist"
| | |
| | | Obviously that's not true as I can (1) open a site under any local web
| in
| | VS
| | | 2003 and (2) I can open the same site in VS 2005 using File System
| | instead.
| | | It would seem either something is not setup correctly or I have
| | encountered
| | | a bug.
| | |
| | |
| | | Brad
| | |
| | |
| | |
| |
| |
| |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Brad,

How are you doing on this issue or does the further info in my last reply
helps some? If there're anything else we can help, please feel free to post
here.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 05:44:14 GMT
| Subject: Re: VS2005 - Unable to open local iis site other than localhost
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi Brad,
|
| Well, I've just discussed with some other VS guys and for multiple sites
on
| the same machine, if we want to open them in VS 2005 through LOCAL IIS
| option, we may need to either separate those sites through different port
| number or Host Headers. I've performed some tests in my local windows
2003
| server and that works. I used host headers to distinct each site and I
can
| open them through the sites listed in the VS 2005 local iis list(vs 2005
| will use the host header url to open the site...).... Also, no FPSE is
| needed.. I think you can also have a try on this to see whether this
| helps. Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|

| --------------------
| | From: "Brad" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: VS2005 - Unable to open local iis site other than localhost
| | Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 07:58:18 -0800
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| |
| | Steven -
| | I did some experimenting and found:
| | -- If I attempt to open a site by opening the previous VS2003 solution
| it
| | fails as it seems to want front page extensions (cannot event get as
far
| as
| | the migration wizard). Based on your statement about remotes sites and
| | FPSE, it would seem VS2005 thinks it is a remote site and without FPSE.

| | added FPSE to the webs but continued to get the same error, that is
| cannot
| | open the site without FPSE.
| |
| | -- If I add a host header to each webs I previously noted then the I
can
| | open them through the open site wizard and through a VS2003 solution
| | (migration wizard successfully runs against the site). Note, I removed
| the
| | FPSE from the webs prior to this (I normally do not have FPSE)
| |
| | I'm not sure if that tells us I had something set up incorrectly or if
| there
| | is a problem is VS2005 that I have managed to work around...or both.
| |
| | Brad
| |
| |
| |
| | Thanks for your response.
| | Well, after some further tests, I've found the problem you met.
Actually,
| | this is because the VS 2005 IDE's Open Site wizard's Local IIS option
only
| | use "localhost" as the servername when opening site, that cause it
always
| | be forwarded to the default site. And for your other sites on the
machine,
| | I'm not sure whether you've installed Front page server extension on
it,
| if
| | you've installed it , you can use the "Remote Site" option to open them
| | through the "http://ip address/....." url that will let the vs 2005 IDE
| | open the site through FPSE ...
| |
| | Also, for the local IIS with mutltiple IP sites, I'll also consult some
| | other IIS/vs2005 experts to see whether this is an existing issue. I'll
| | also update you soon.
| |
| | Regards,
| |
| | Steven Cheng
| | Microsoft Online Support
| |
| | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| | rights.)
| |
| |
| | --------------------
| | | From: "Brad" <[email protected]>
| | | Subject: Re: VS2005 - Unable to open local iis site other than
localhost
| | | Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 07:35:11 -0800
| | | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| | |
| | | I do not have an adapter per ip address. My pc has one dedicated ip
| | address
| | | and multiple reserved ip addresses, registered in the hosts file which
| | only
| | | work locally. No host headers or ports on any of the sites.
| | |
| | | Here is sample form my hosts file
| (C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts)
| | |
| | | 127.0.0.1 localhost
| | |
| | | ### Reserved Addresses for my local sites
| | | 192.168.0.10 ecommerce
| | | 192.168.0.11 portal
| | | 192.168.0.12 public
| | | 192.168.0.13 appserver
| | | 192.168.0.14 developer
| | |
| | |
| | | This all works fine in IIS and works with VS2003
| | |
| | | Brad
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | |
| | | Welcome to ASPNET newsgroup.
| | | Regarding on the open multiple local websites (with distinct ip
address)
| | in
| | | vs 2005 problem, I think it maybe configuration specific. Is each site
| | | (local) explicitly being assigned an ip address that mapped to a
network
| | | adapter? Also, have you used other host headers or port on those sites
| | | other than local host(default site)? I've just performed some tests
on
| | my
| | | local WIN 2K3 svr box, (with two network apdaters each assigned an IP
| | | address), after that I can correctly open or create new asp.net 2.0
| | website
| | | in both the two sites in IIS from VS 2005.... (through the LOCAL IIS
| | | panel)...
| | |
| | | So I think there should be some other setting cause the problem.
Would
| you
| | | provide some furhter info on your local network environment condition
| and
| | | the IIS's IP setting ....
| | | BTW, for vs 2003, it use file share or fpse to connect a certain
| | | webapplication in IIS(local or remote), while in vs 2005, it only use
| file
| | | share (not fpse) to connection local IIS websites....
| | |
| | | Regards,
| | |
| | | Steven Cheng
| | | Microsoft Online Support
| | |
| | | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| | | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| | | rights.)
| | | --------------------
| | it's
| | | select