VS2008 Design view doesn't like LoginView!!!

dan

It appears that if you have a ContentPlaceHolder within a LoginView
control on a masterpage that you will not be able to use the design
feature in VS2008.

To reproduce the problem simply place a LoginView control on a master
page and place the ContentPlaceHolder within the LoggedInTemplate.

Make another page using the master page you just created. In design
view none of the changes to this page will be visible. I assume this
is because we are not logged in. Although it is possible to change
the view on the master page to view the LoggedInTemplate I have not
found a way to view the LoggedInTemplate on the page using the
masterpage.

Is there a work around?

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

The design of the logged in view is to show content based on conditions. The
norm is logged in/not logged in. It is designed to show either one template
or the other.

You can use it in a master page. You can also use it in a page. The pattern,
in general, is use it in a page if you need content for a single page, use
in a master page if you want content for all pages.

You would like to set it on a master page (all pages) and have it act like
it is on a page (single page), correct?

I view that as an anti-pattern. And, the reason it blows chunks is very
simple. The master page is actually a user control, when you look at it
underneath the hood. You are now placing controls, controlled by the page,
inside a master page control, which is controlled by the page. I know it
does not look like that, when you design, but that is what is happening when
it renders. In effect, you are creating an endless recusion loop in design
view, or at least potentially.

While it is a pain, the more correct manner is to place a Content region
where you want the LoginView and then set it up on each page. It is really
not much work, as you are placing a control on the master and then another
on the page in each instance. It is a bit different way of thinking about
it, however.

I know you may not like this answer, but the other option is to shoot blind
and hope the rendering engine for .NET always renders without recursing too
far and ending up in the same death spiral as Visual Studio.