vs2008 hangs when building solution

Hans Kesting

Hi,

I can't get a vs2008 solution to compile.

I have copied the source from a (compiling) 2.0 web-application
to a new directory (I didn't want to change the old code), and tried
to compile it in vs2008 (beta 2). When compilation reaches about
75% of the 46 projects in this solution, it seems to hang with near
100% CPU usage. A colleague (who had the same problem) reported
that compilation did finish after about 90 minutes of CPU time.
The exact project where compilation hangs seems to vary a bit,
but usually it's one that contains very little complicated code
but calls a number of projects (assemblies).

If I run 'msbuild' from the VS2008 command prompt, the entire
solution *is* compiled.

One thing I noticed was that a 'build' seems to be executed as
a 'rebuild': I see compiler warnings about projects that did
build correctly in the previous run (no sourcecode changes
anywhere in the meantime). Is this correct behaviour (for this
beta release)?

Has anyone experienced this build problem before?
Any ideas on how to fix it or on how to get more information
about the problem? Is it possible to redirect build-output to
a file? When it hangs I can't get at the "build-output" to
see where it went wrong.

Hans Kesting

Teemu Keiski

Hi,

I suggest you ask this question at ASP.NEt Forums where there is dedicated
forum for VS2008 (and since your case is web app related that improves the
chance of fast help on that forum). See: http://forums.asp.net/1112.aspx

MS's team is actively monitoring that so chances of getting help is better