vs2008 hangs when building solution

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Hans Kesting, Sep 24, 2007.

  1. Hans Kesting

    Hans Kesting Guest

    Hi,

    I can't get a vs2008 solution to compile.

    I have copied the source from a (compiling) 2.0 web-application
    to a new directory (I didn't want to change the old code), and tried
    to compile it in vs2008 (beta 2). When compilation reaches about
    75% of the 46 projects in this solution, it seems to hang with near
    100% CPU usage. A colleague (who had the same problem) reported
    that compilation did finish after about 90 minutes of CPU time.
    The exact project where compilation hangs seems to vary a bit,
    but usually it's one that contains very little complicated code
    but calls a number of projects (assemblies).

    If I run 'msbuild' from the VS2008 command prompt, the entire
    solution *is* compiled.

    One thing I noticed was that a 'build' seems to be executed as
    a 'rebuild': I see compiler warnings about projects that did
    build correctly in the previous run (no sourcecode changes
    anywhere in the meantime). Is this correct behaviour (for this
    beta release)?

    Has anyone experienced this build problem before?
    Any ideas on how to fix it or on how to get more information
    about the problem? Is it possible to redirect build-output to
    a file? When it hangs I can't get at the "build-output" to
    see where it went wrong.

    Hans Kesting
    Hans Kesting, Sep 24, 2007

  2. Hans Kesting

    Teemu Keiski Guest

    Hi,

    I suggest you ask this question at ASP.NEt Forums where there is dedicated
    forum for VS2008 (and since your case is web app related that improves the
    chance of fast help on that forum). See: http://forums.asp.net/1112.aspx

    MS's team is actively monitoring that so chances of getting help is better

    --
    Teemu Keiski
    AspInsider, ASP.NET MVP

    Teemu Keiski, Sep 24, 2007