vs2008 question

Jay

Where is my .sln file when I create a new c# project?
I appreciate the diff between a solution and a project but the docs I'm
reading say (and illustrate) a top level solution with a csproj file below
when a new project is created.
It also goes on to say to add a new project to my newly created solution...
which is an unavailable "new" option for me under the context or file menu.

Mr. Arnold

Jay said:
Where is my .sln file when I create a new c# project?
I appreciate the diff between a solution and a project but the docs I'm
reading say (and illustrate) a top level solution with a csproj file below
when a new project is created.
It also goes on to say to add a new project to my newly created
solution... which is an unavailable "new" option for me under the context
or file menu.

It's File/Add when you have a solution open or a project opened without
using the solution.sln. The solution can be a mixture of various project
types to make up the total solution, such as Windows and Web projects using
C# or VB.net projects types in the same solution, even adding existing
projects too, as an example.

You can also right-click a Solution in the Solution tree and do the same
thing there as to adding projects to a solution.

Jay

Mr. Arnold said:
It's File/Add when you have a solution open or a project opened without
using the solution.sln. The solution can be a mixture of various project
types to make up the total solution, such as Windows and Web projects
using C# or VB.net projects types in the same solution, even adding
existing projects too, as an example.

You can also right-click a Solution in the Solution tree and do the same
thing there as to adding projects to a solution.

But the default extension for my new project is csproj. When I browse the
folder there is no sln file.
When I right click the top level element in solution explorer there is no
"project" under add.
I always had it in previous years using 2003/2005 with vb.net but something
seems to be missing here.

Mr. Arnold

Jay said:
But the default extension for my new project is csproj. When I browse the
folder there is no sln file.
When I right click the top level element in solution explorer there is no
"project" under add.
I always had it in previous years using 2003/2005 with vb.net but
something seems to be missing here.

Maybe, you're using the Express edition of VS 2008. But I am telling you
that I have no problem in creating a .sln for a single project or multiple
projects in a solution using a professional version of VS 2008. And on an
exiting project, one can go to menu/file/add to add a new project or an
existing project.

Jay

Mr. Arnold said:
Maybe, you're using the Express edition of VS 2008. But I am telling you
that I have no problem in creating a .sln for a single project or multiple
projects in a solution using a professional version of VS 2008. And on an
exiting project, one can go to menu/file/add to add a new project or an
existing project.

Nope. Full blown version (Developer)
Found the answer. Under options was a check box to "always create a
solution"
Now this is checked I get a top level sln and the ability to add a project
to a solution.