    when a new project is created.
    It also goes on to say to add a new project to my newly created solution...
    which is an unavailable "new" option for me under the context or file menu.

    Jay, Mar 29, 2009

  2. Jay

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Where is my .sln file when I create a new c# project?
    > I appreciate the diff between a solution and a project but the docs I'm
    > reading say (and illustrate) a top level solution with a csproj file below
    > when a new project is created.
    > It also goes on to say to add a new project to my newly created
    > solution... which is an unavailable "new" option for me under the context
    > or file menu.

    It's File/Add when you have a solution open or a project opened without
    using the solution.sln. The solution can be a mixture of various project
    types to make up the total solution, such as Windows and Web projects using
    C# or VB.net projects types in the same solution, even adding existing
    projects too, as an example.

    You can also right-click a Solution in the Solution tree and do the same
    thing there as to adding projects to a solution.

    Mr. Arnold, Mar 29, 2009

  3. Jay

    Jay Guest

    "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message

    > "Jay" <> wrote in message
    >> Where is my .sln file when I create a new c# project?
    >> I appreciate the diff between a solution and a project but the docs I'm
    >> reading say (and illustrate) a top level solution with a csproj file
    >> below when a new project is created.
    >> It also goes on to say to add a new project to my newly created
    >> solution... which is an unavailable "new" option for me under the context
    >> or file menu.
    >>

    > It's File/Add when you have a solution open or a project opened without
    > using the solution.sln. The solution can be a mixture of various project
    > types to make up the total solution, such as Windows and Web projects
    > using C# or VB.net projects types in the same solution, even adding
    > existing projects too, as an example.
    >
    > You can also right-click a Solution in the Solution tree and do the same
    > thing there as to adding projects to a solution.

    But the default extension for my new project is csproj. When I browse the
    folder there is no sln file.
    When I right click the top level element in solution explorer there is no
    "project" under add.
    I always had it in previous years using 2003/2005 with vb.net but something
    seems to be missing here.

    --
    Jack Spratt

    Jay, Mar 29, 2009
  4. Jay

    imransyed63

    Joined:
    May 16, 2006
    Messages:
    27
    check "My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects" folder.

    imransyed63, Mar 29, 2009
  5. Jay

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in message
    > "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jay" <> wrote in message
    >>> Where is my .sln file when I create a new c# project?
    >>> I appreciate the diff between a solution and a project but the docs I'm
    >>> reading say (and illustrate) a top level solution with a csproj file
    >>> below when a new project is created.
    >>> It also goes on to say to add a new project to my newly created
    >>> solution... which is an unavailable "new" option for me under the
    >>> context or file menu.
    >>>

    >> It's File/Add when you have a solution open or a project opened without
    >> using the solution.sln. The solution can be a mixture of various
    >> project types to make up the total solution, such as Windows and Web
    >> projects using C# or VB.net projects types in the same solution, even
    >> adding existing projects too, as an example.
    >>
    >> You can also right-click a Solution in the Solution tree and do the same
    >> thing there as to adding projects to a solution.

    > But the default extension for my new project is csproj. When I browse the
    > folder there is no sln file.
    > When I right click the top level element in solution explorer there is no
    > "project" under add.
    > I always had it in previous years using 2003/2005 with vb.net but
    > something seems to be missing here.

    Maybe, you're using the Express edition of VS 2008. But I am telling you
    that I have no problem in creating a .sln for a single project or multiple
    projects in a solution using a professional version of VS 2008. And on an
    exiting project, one can go to menu/file/add to add a new project or an
    existing project.

    Mr. Arnold, Mar 29, 2009
  6. Jay

    > "Jay" <> wrote in message
    >> "Mr. Arnold" <MR. > wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "Jay" <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >>> It's File/Add when you have a solution open or a project opened without
    >>> using the solution.sln. The solution can be a mixture of various
    >>> project types to make up the total solution, such as Windows and Web
    >>> projects using C# or VB.net projects types in the same solution, even
    >>> adding existing projects too, as an example.
    >>>
    >>> You can also right-click a Solution in the Solution tree and do the same
    >>> thing there as to adding projects to a solution.

    >> But the default extension for my new project is csproj. When I browse the
    >> folder there is no sln file.
    >> When I right click the top level element in solution explorer there is no
    >> "project" under add.
    >> I always had it in previous years using 2003/2005 with vb.net but
    >> something seems to be missing here.
    >>

    > Maybe, you're using the Express edition of VS 2008. But I am telling you
    > that I have no problem in creating a .sln for a single project or multiple
    > projects in a solution using a professional version of VS 2008. And on an
    > exiting project, one can go to menu/file/add to add a new project or an
    > existing project.

    Nope. Full blown version (Developer)
    Found the answer. Under options was a check box to "always create a
    solution"
    Now this is checked I get a top level sln and the ability to add a project
    to a solution.

    Jay, Mar 30, 2009