VS6 existing projects and .NET together

MBB

hi all,

i'm not sure if this is the right place...but here goes.

i just installed .net 2003 enterprise architect on my win2k machine.
VS 6 was already installed.
i read on the MS site that these two COULD co-exist happily together.
however, i have not succeeded in loading my VS 6 workspace or project
file into the VS 6 IDE.

evidently dotnet is now associated with the .dsw extension so clicking
on my project shortcut get the dotnet IDE...which i back out of.

if i just load VS 6, i get messages about not being able to find certain
dlls. so i extended the path and got the IDE to open.

then i try to open my workspace and get a message about how this failed
because a "package" is missing.

there must be an article on the gorry details of this matter.
can anyone point me to it?

TIA,
mbb

Ken Halter

MBB said:
hi all,

i'm not sure if this is the right place...but here goes.

i just installed .net 2003 enterprise architect on my win2k machine.
VS 6 was already installed.

I'm surely no .Net expert (see sig)... but, have you tried opening the IDE
and browsing for a project instead of double-clicking from Explorer? That
usually takes care of file association problems... but, I could be wrong <g>

Leon Mayne [MVP]

MBB said:
evidently dotnet is now associated with the .dsw extension so clicking
on my project shortcut get the dotnet IDE...which i back out of.

VS.NET does take some of the file extensions, but I've been running VS6 and
VS.NET2003 for ages together with no problems, certainly haven't had any DLL
errors when opening either of the IDEs.

Have you tried leaving VS.NET2003 and reinstalling VS6? That might fix the
problem.