VSDISCO/WebReference Woes

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Shaun Wilson, Jun 13, 2005.

  1. Shaun Wilson

    Shaun Wilson Guest

    I have two webservices Service1.asmx and Service2.asmx and a client library
    that has two web references to each. I find it inelegant that I have to
    maintain two web references for each webservice I am exposing. For example,
    although both web services exist on the same webserver and in the same
    folder I cannot get them to appear as such in client code because the code
    generator generates a local namespace based on the webref names.

    What I'm hoping is that a single web reference can be created that
    encompasses 2 or more service objects such that client code can access all
    web service proxies from the same namespace, and so that I only have to
    update one web reference when the server interfaces changes.

    I've tried using a vsdisco according to MSDN but i get a file not found
    error when I try and navigate to the /default.vsdisco location on the
    webserver, there is no such file at this location. I assume I do not have to
    add a file since the purpose of *.vsdisco is dynamic discovery of
    webservices exposed by the webserver.

    I'm also assuming that with a vsdisco file I will get a single web reference
    with multiple webservices, thus solving my problem above.

    Any help/insight is appreciated, thanks.
    Shaun Wilson
    Shaun Wilson, Jun 13, 2005