VSS 6.0 & VSS for dotnet

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by hdjim69, Apr 26, 2004.

  1. hdjim69

    hdjim69 Guest

    Hi,
    I have VSS 6.0 installed (for years) with VB6 working fine. We are now
    upgrading to dot net. I'm in the process of upgrading VSS and one of the
    dialog boxes has 3 choices: Shared Database Server, Custom, Stand-Alone.
    The Shared Database Server has verbiage I don't understand: Creates a
    SHARED database (except when upgrading) and installs the Admin Software plus
    the NetSetup program so users can install Client Software from the server.

    What the heck does that mean ? "...so users can install Client Software
    from the server"

    I don't need to create any new databases on our server or overwrite any
    existing VSS db. I just need to be able to checkout from the server to my
    local and check back in (upload) to the server. So based on that, what
    choice so I select ?

    tia

    hdjim69, Apr 26, 2004

  2. VSS doesn't have Server it's. VSS it's client which can open shared VSS DB.

    Maxim Kazitov, Apr 26, 2004

  3. hdjim69

    CT Guest

    The Shared Database Server means that a network share is created for easy
    access from VSS clients. In addition, your users can access a network share
    for installing VSS on the clients, i.e. you don't have distribute the
    software. Depending on where your VSS database is located, you'll want to
    choose the Custom or Standalone install option.

    --
    Carsten Thomsen
    Enterprise Development with VS .NET, UML, and MSF

    CT, Apr 27, 2004