VSS 6.0 & VSS for dotnet

hdjim69

Hi,
I have VSS 6.0 installed (for years) with VB6 working fine. We are now
upgrading to dot net. I'm in the process of upgrading VSS and one of the
dialog boxes has 3 choices: Shared Database Server, Custom, Stand-Alone.
The Shared Database Server has verbiage I don't understand: Creates a
SHARED database (except when upgrading) and installs the Admin Software plus
the NetSetup program so users can install Client Software from the server.

What the heck does that mean ? "...so users can install Client Software
from the server"

I don't need to create any new databases on our server or overwrite any
existing VSS db. I just need to be able to checkout from the server to my
local and check back in (upload) to the server. So based on that, what
choice so I select ?

tia

CT

The Shared Database Server means that a network share is created for easy
access from VSS clients. In addition, your users can access a network share
for installing VSS on the clients, i.e. you don't have distribute the
software. Depending on where your VSS database is located, you'll want to
choose the Custom or Standalone install option.