VSWebCache

Guest

Hi, I have problems creating new web projects on my server. Each time I try
to create a new project I get the following message :

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Eliassal,

Thanks for your posting. From your description, when you try to create a
new asp.net project , you encounter error said "unable ot add project file
under the local VSWEBCACHE folder" ,yes?

As for this problem, is it always occuring or just start recently or have
you done any changes before the problem came? Also, what's your develop
machine's OS , IIS and VS.NET's version?

The VSWebCache folder is generally used for caching the webproject's code
files at a local managable location and synchorize with the web server. So
are you trying to create a web project on a remote server or just
localserver? If on localserver, you can try remove the subfolder of your
"servername" under the VsWebCAche and then try create a new webproject
again to see whether the problem still occur. Also, in VS.NET , you can
use the

TOOLS ----> OPTIONS....----> Projects ----> WebSettings ----->

There , we can change the location of the web project cache to some other
places other than the default
DOCUMENT SETTING \USER \VSWEBCACHE

If still have no luck after dealing with the default place, you can try
change the location to another location where you've grant the proper
access rights to the logon user and the asp.net process account.

Hope these helps. If there are any other findings, please feel free to post
here.

GOOD LUCK

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

Hi and so many thanks. I tried remotly and localy, I am getting the same error
I folowed both instructions, first I deleted myserver directory from the
VSwebcache, gave it a go, got the same error
I changed the directory in websettings, gave it a go and still the same
error is genertad.
It is a Win2000 advanced server, SP 4, IIS5 with Vs .Net 2002 and 2003
Salam

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Salam,

Thanks for your response. It is possbile that there is something wrong with
the FPSE(front page server extension) on our box since the VS.NET will use
FPSE to communicate with the IIS server when creating new project. Have you
any existing web project machine and try opening those existing asp.net
projects in VS.NET? IF no, you can try copy a simple one from other machine
and manually install it in your IIS Server and try opening it to see
whether it works.

Thanks.