VWD gives bogus validation errors unless MasterPageFile is specified in the @Page directive

Alan Silver

Hello,

I have a site that uses master pages. To enable simple switching of the
master page, and to avoid potential inconsistencies between pages, I set
the master page file in the web.config file. This works fine, but causes
VWD to give loads of bogus validation errors ("element HTML occurs to
few times" etc), as it doesn't seem to know that there's a master file
being used.

Any way around this? TIA

Alan Silver

Alan Silver said:
Hello,

I have a site that uses master pages. To enable simple switching of the
master page, and to avoid potential inconsistencies between pages, I
set the master page file in the web.config file. This works fine, but
causes VWD to give loads of bogus validation errors ("element HTML
occurs to few times" etc), as it doesn't seem to know that there's a
master file being used.

Any way around this? TIA

As usual, found the answer just after posting. It's a bug. First, you
need to have the MasterPageFile set in the page directive, and second
you need to keep the master page open in the editor. then the problem
goes away.

http://blogs.msdn.com/mikhailarkhipov/archive/2005/04/21/410557.aspx has
details of part of this problem.