w3.org suggestion .. page, date, time and topic, date, time code (wish list).

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Keith Cochrane, Aug 5, 2006.

  1. I don't usually follow this newsgroup, but it seemed the most
    appropriate one to post this to. I tried finding contact info for
    suggestions on the w3.org website without any luck, so here it is.

    Firstly, I would like to see a html standard that included code, which
    would allow search engines to locate web pages based on a "page date",
    which does not have to be the page creation date. This "page date"
    could be set manually, (the default), by the web page creator/designer,
    or it could be set to reflect the date the page was created, (file
    creation date).

    Secondly, I would like to see code that would allow for the dating of
    individual topics on a web page, as several topics relating to
    different dates are often used on a single webpage. Again, this would
    be set to the page creation date as the default, or assigned either
    manually by the page designer, or automatically from either a database,
    or the system clock of the website sending the page content. (As when
    web pages receive automatic updates from news servers.)

    Lastly, I'd like to see Google get the ability to do proximity
    searches. (They actually had that for about two weeks last summer, if I
    recall correctly.)

    Keith Cochrane, Aug 5, 2006

  2. Keith Cochrane <> scripsit:

    > I don't usually follow this newsgroup, but it seemed the most
    > appropriate one to post this to. I tried finding contact info for
    > suggestions on the w3.org website without any luck, so here it is.

    In fact, there is information at w3.org about participation to the HTML
    development work, and posting to a newsgroup (even outside the Big 8!) will
    hardly draw the Consortium's attention. Seriously, if you cannot find their
    relevant information at their site, they will hardly take your suggestions
    seriously even if they by accident read them.

    As a rule of thumb, any work on HTML development should not be expected to
    yield useful results in the next two or three years - the work is slow, and
    so is the progress in browsers. Only if you can live with this should you
    try to find the forum for making suggestions on HTML development.

    > Lastly, I'd like to see Google get the ability to do proximity
    > searches.

    Well, that's not W3C business. You might submit your suggestions to Google,
    but don't expect any anwser.

    --
    Jukka K. Korpela ("Yucca")
    http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Aug 5, 2006

  3. Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > Keith Cochrane <> scripsit:
    >
    > > I tried finding contact info for
    > > suggestions on the w3.org website without any luck, so here it is.

    > In fact, there is information at w3.org about participation to the HTML
    > development work, and posting to a newsgroup (even outside the Big 8!) will
    > hardly draw the Consortium's attention. Seriously, if you cannot find their
    > relevant information at their site, they will hardly take your suggestions
    > seriously even if they by accident read them.

    Those were just some thoughts I had on the subject and because I really
    don't have alot of spare time to spend on this, I thought I'd do my
    post and see if anyone else who finds those functions useful, wished to
    run with the idea.

    > > Lastly, I'd like to see Google get the ability to do proximity
    > > searches.

    > Well, that's not W3C business. You might submit your suggestions to Google,
    > but don't expect any anwser.

    Actually I did submit the idea to Google, but that was over a year ago
    and while I did find they temporarily added the feature, it just as
    quickly disappeared as an available function.

    Thanks for your time!
    Keith.

    Keith Cochrane, Aug 6, 2006