W3C does not like embed

1

123Jim

Jonathan N. Little said:
idle said:
<object type="audio/x-midi" data="mymid.mid" height="15"
width="200">
<param name="src" value="mymid.mid">
</object>

strict. works. yawn.

Yep, on IE two things though:

[1] height needs to be height="25" because WMP console is bigger than
Quicktime. And [1](and this one would be a deal breaker for me *IF* I used
IE) the damn MID auto starts. So you need to add:

<param name="autostart" value="false">

I would really *despise* stumbling upon the page to have SomeLousy.mid
start blaring from my speakers. I would prefer the simpler and always
reliable:

LOL ..
if you look at my embed markup:
<embed src="mymid.mid" autostart="false" repeat="false" loop="false"
height="15" width="200">

you can see I absolutely agree with you on the lousy midi

autostart="false"
I take no responsibility if they absolutely must hit the play button ;)

Neredbojias

Testing? Browsers?
;)
That's valid code for the object.
I'd think you'd fill in the valid param's to meet your needs.

Yeah, but I tried it and it didn't work, either. I think the trouble
is with the plugin. Don't have a handle on it, yet, but I assigned
..mid mime types (including the "x-midi" or whatever) to Windows Media
Player both in ff and my system and the qt plugin *still* pops up.

1

123Jim

idle said:
<object type="audio/x-midi" data="mymid.mid" height="15"
width="200">
<param name="src" value="mymid.mid">
</object>

strict. works. yawn.

your code works in Firefox and in chrome .. but does not work in IE8

similarly check this:
http://joliclic.free.fr/html/object-tag/en/object-audio.html
His code does not work in IE8 either. .. it also is strict compliant as far
as I can tell.
He has not updated since IE7.

I thought maybe it was the lack of a CLSID.
but this does not work in IE8 either:

<object classid="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B"
height="25" width="200"><param name="AutoStart"
value="0"><param name="FileName" value="test.mid"></object>

Anyone know how to get this to work in IE8?

Jonathan N. Little

idle said:
I would really *despise* stumbling upon the page to have SomeLousy.mid
start blaring from my speakers. I would prefer the simpler and always
reliable:

oh yea.
Which is why you give them just enough to hurt themselves ;) and hopefully
they don't figure out how to inflict damage upon the rest of the internet.

I guess I must be really very dense today, but I really do not
understand you comment at all.

1

123Jim

Neredbojias said:
Yeah, but I tried it and it didn't work, either. I think the trouble
is with the plugin. Don't have a handle on it, yet, but I assigned
.mid mime types (including the "x-midi" or whatever) to Windows Media
Player both in ff and my system and the qt plugin *still* pops up.

To my surprise firefox behaves differently for this code when displaying the
local file or the file on the web.
The quicktime player displays and works with this object code, when the
webpage is fetched from a webserver, but it does not work when displaying a
file stored locally, on my computer.

It is expected for IE8 to behave differently due to the local and internet
zones, but it does not work no matter where the html file is fetched from.

cwdjrxyz

To my surprise firefox behaves differently for this code when displaying the
local file or the file on the web.
The quicktime player displays and works with this object code, when the
webpage is fetched from a webserver, but it does not work when displaying a
file stored locally, on my computer.

It is expected for IE8 to behave differently due to the local and internet
zones, but it does not work no matter where the html file is fetched from..

There have been strange things happening for various combinations of
OSs, browsers, and players for years. Once something gets fixed, new
problems sometimes pop up when an OS, browser, or player is updated.
Using Vista, several browsers, and several players including QT, some
file types are opening in QT online when using Firefox, even though
Vista has been set to open in another player rather than Opera.
However the control bar it shows is black. If you know where to
click , it still will work. The moral of this story is that you must
check your media code often to see that it still works.
I find that there is the problem I mention for midis. I can force
things to behave by offering 2 choices. In the first case,
Microsoft .wax files are used to point a midi to a WMP. In the second
case a midi is used directly. Using this approach, I can get a midi to
work properly online when using the latest versions of Firefox, IE7,
Safari for Windows, and Opera. See http://www.cwdjr.net/audiospecial/songsingletest.php
for a demo. Since php is used, you will also need to see
http://www.cwdjr.net/audiospecial/songsingletest.txt . This is
somewhat of a Frankenstein monster made from parts of code I I have
used elsewhere. I do not intend to spend much time on midis, since
they were at their glory over a decade ago, and I do not like the
sound of most of them. One can now even use lossless audio formats on
high broadband. In keeping with using a midi, I also use an animated
gif, typical of the midi era. I could not find the dancing cow, so I
had to use something else :) .

cwdjrxyz

There have been strange things happening for various combinations of
OSs, browsers, and players for years. Once something gets fixed, new
problems sometimes pop up when an OS, browser, or player is updated.
Using Vista, several browsers, and several players including QT, some
file types are opening in QT online when using Firefox, even though
Vista has been set to open in another player rather than Opera.

The last sentence just above should read:
Using Vista, several browsers, and several players including QT, some
file types are opening in QT online when using Firefox, even though
Vista has been set to open in another player rather than QT. (Vista
has a program function, called Default Programs, to assign various
programs including players to be primary for certain file types. This
usually prevents file type stealing)

1

123Jim

[...]

Clever stuff! .. thanks .. not something I can use though, as I have no
server side.
Who would think it would be so difficult to embed a midi in IE8 in a
standards compliant way.
By the time I find the solution , HTML5 will be here and <embed> will be a
standard .. I bet they screw with it so it's unusable though. That will
finally be the death of <embed>! .. IE8 seems to be the death of
midi+<object> for now ..

1

123Jim

123Jim said:
[...]

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Clever stuff! .. thanks .. not something I can use though, as I have no
server side.
Who would think it would be so difficult to embed a midi in IE8 in a
standards compliant way.
By the time I find the solution , HTML5 will be here and <embed> will be a
standard .. I bet they screw with it so it's unusable though. That will
finally be the death of <embed>! .. IE8 seems to be the death of
midi+<object> for now ..
not sure why your lines were not indented in my previous reply.
This reply hopefully fixes that problem

1

123Jim

cwdjrxyz said:
[...]