    industry arbiters of standards can't be bothered to follow their own
    standards.

    What am I missing?
    123Jim, May 1, 2010

  2. 123Jim

    idle Guest

    On Sat, 1 May 2010 23:03:22 +0100, 123Jim wrote in alt.html:

    > Hi all,
    > So ... I've been looking at some of my pages and getting 4.01 strict
    > validation errors for <br> and for <br clear="all"> and a few other
    > elements.
    >
    > I look to the developer of the standards the w3c and find their cheetsheet
    > page http://www.w3.org/2009/cheatsheet/ is full of errors!!

    So is http://www.w3.org
    CSS is whacked

    > I find this incredible. Here we all are trying to stick to standards and the
    > industry arbiters of standards can't be bothered to follow their own
    > standards.

    Kinda like the American Political system.

    > What am I missing?

    Install Windows

    --
    Better living through chemistry.
    idle, May 1, 2010

  3. 123Jim wrote:

    > So ... I've been looking at some of my pages and getting 4.01 strict
    > validation errors for <br> and for <br clear="all"> and a few other
    > elements.

    URL? To borrow a statement from Jonathan, "We are web designers, not
    psychics." ;-) (I'll guess you have your <br>s as a child of <body>
    and not of a block-level element.)

    > I look to the developer of the standards the w3c and find their
    > cheetsheet page http://www.w3.org/2009/cheatsheet/ is full of
    > errors!!

    I see one warning. "Using experimental feature: HTML5 Conformance
    Checker." What did you use to determine it is "full of errors!!"

    > I find this incredible. Here we all are trying to stick to standards
    > and the industry arbiters of standards can't be bothered to follow
    > their own standards.

    Looks fine to me. Perhaps your unnamed browser doesn't know how to deal
    with HTML5.

    > What am I missing?

    Running the w3c validator?

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 2, 2010
  4. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    > 123Jim wrote:
    >
    >> So ... I've been looking at some of my pages and getting 4.01 strict
    >> validation errors for <br> and for <br clear="all"> and a few other
    >> elements.

    > URL? To borrow a statement from Jonathan, "We are web designers, not
    > psychics." ;-) (I'll guess you have your <br>s as a child of <body>
    > and not of a block-level element.)
    >
    >> I look to the developer of the standards the w3c and find their
    >> cheetsheet page http://www.w3.org/2009/cheatsheet/ is full of
    >> errors!!

    > I see one warning. "Using experimental feature: HTML5 Conformance
    > Checker." What did you use to determine it is "full of errors!!"
    >
    >> I find this incredible. Here we all are trying to stick to standards
    >> and the industry arbiters of standards can't be bothered to follow
    >> their own standards.

    > Looks fine to me. Perhaps your unnamed browser doesn't know how to deal
    > with HTML5.
    >
    >> What am I missing?

    > Running the w3c validator?
    >
    > --
    > -bts
    > -Four wheels carry the body; two wheels move the soul

    Huh ... the 'Html Validator' add-on using SGML Parser for Firefox (supposed
    to be the same as W3C) gives me 36 errors on the w3 cheatsheet page.
    Guess I need a replacement validator addon for Firefox now..
    cheers.
    123Jim, May 2, 2010
  5. 123Jim wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> 123Jim wrote:
    >>> So ... I've been looking at some of my pages and getting 4.01 strict
    >>> validation errors for <br> and for <br clear="all"> and a few other
    >>> elements.

    >> URL? To borrow a statement from Jonathan, "We are web designers,
    >> not psychics." ;-) (I'll guess you have your <br>s as a child of

    Did you figure out your <br> errors?

    >>> I look to the developer of the standards the w3c and find their
    >>> cheetsheet page http://www.w3.org/2009/cheatsheet/ is full of
    >>> errors!!

    >> I see one warning. "Using experimental feature: HTML5 Conformance
    >> Checker." What did you use to determine it is "full of errors!!"
    >>
    >>> I find this incredible. Here we all are trying to stick to standards
    >>> and the industry arbiters of standards can't be bothered to follow
    >>> their own standards.

    >> Looks fine to me. Perhaps your unnamed browser doesn't know how to
    >> deal with HTML5.
    >>
    >>> What am I missing?

    >> Running the w3c validator?

    Please snip signatures.

    > Huh ... the 'Html Validator' add-on using SGML Parser for Firefox
    > (supposed to be the same as W3C) gives me 36 errors on the w3
    > cheatsheet page. Guess I need a replacement validator addon for
    > Firefox now.. cheers.

    Perhaps whoever wrote that hasn't updated it for HTML5 then?

    Get the Web Developer Toolbar extension, and W3C validation is two
    clicks - or one key-combo - away.

    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 2, 2010
  6. 123Jim

    dorayme Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/2vklyg5

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, May 2, 2010
  7. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    > 123Jim wrote:

    >>> URL? To borrow a statement from Jonathan, "We are web designers,
    >>> not psychics." ;-) (I'll guess you have your <br>s as a child of

    > Did you figure out your <br> errors?

    >>> I see one warning. "Using experimental feature: HTML5 Conformance
    >>> Checker." What did you use to determine it is "full of errors!!"

    >>> Looks fine to me. Perhaps your unnamed browser doesn't know how to
    >>> deal with HTML5.

    >>> Running the w3c validator?

    > Please snip signatures.
    >
    >> Huh ... the 'Html Validator' add-on using SGML Parser for Firefox
    >> (supposed to be the same as W3C) gives me 36 errors on the w3
    >> cheatsheet page. Guess I need a replacement validator addon for
    >> Firefox now.. cheers.

    > Perhaps whoever wrote that hasn't updated it for HTML5 then?
    >
    > Get the Web Developer Toolbar extension, and W3C validation is two
    > clicks - or one key-combo - away.

    Actually had 'the Web Developer Toolbar extension' already :) .. just never
    realised it has that validate function .. so that will do nicely!

    My own errors are many, but simple. For example here:
    http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ladycroft/Rewrite_line_in_text_file_based_on_contents.html

    ( was more interested in the JavaScript at time of writing it)

    What about those textareas? the validator wants rows and columns but I have
    pixels .. which make more sense to me, it works, is invalid and I need to
    think about fonts, ems in order to change it ?
    123Jim, May 2, 2010
  8. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    "Lewis" <> wrote in message
    > In message <hri8fc$bvn$-september.org>
    > 123Jim <> wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >> So ... I've been looking at some of my pages and getting 4.01 strict
    >> validation errors for <br> and for <br clear="all"> and a few other
    >> elements.

    >> I look to the developer of the standards the w3c and find their
    >> cheetsheet
    >> page http://www.w3.org/2009/cheatsheet/ is full of errors!!

    >> I find this incredible. Here we all are trying to stick to standards and
    >> the
    >> industry arbiters of standards can't be bothered to follow their own
    >> standards.

    >> What am I missing?

    > <http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.w3.org%2F2009%2Fcheatsheet%2F%23search%2Cbr&charset=%28detect+automatically%29&doctype=Inline&group=0>
    >
    > "This document was successfully checked as HTML5!"
    >
    > and
    >
    > "The document located at <http://www.w3.org/2009/cheatsheet/> was
    > successfully checked as HTML5. This means that the resource in question
    > identified itself as "HTML5" and that we successfully performed a formal
    > validation using an SGML, HTML5 and/or XML Parser(s) (depending on the
    > markup language used)."
    >
    > What errors?

    yeah, we're past that now ;) , my error .. turns out my validator Add-on
    for Firefox does not know about HTML5 .. it'll catch up sometime I think ..
    meanwhile I will be using a different Firefox Add-on called 'Web Developer'
    123Jim, May 2, 2010
  9. 123Jim wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> 123Jim wrote:

    >> Did you figure out your <br> errors?

    > My own errors are many, but simple. For example here:
    > http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ladycroft/Rewrite_line_in_text_file_based_on_contents.html

    Hah! As I suspected, your <br>s are within the <body>. That's an error
    (for each one) in Strict. You don't need them anyway; add some
    bottom-margin to the preceding <div>s.

    > ( was more interested in the JavaScript at time of writing it)
    >
    > What about those textareas? the validator wants rows and columns but
    > I have pixels .. which make more sense to me, it works, is invalid
    > and I need to think about fonts, ems in order to change it ?

    'Tis because width and height are not valid attributes for <textarea>.
    http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_textarea.asp
    You need the rows and columns.

    Oh, and I'm quite happy with my default font and size for textareas. You
    don't really need to specify those, either. <g>

    (I don't do JavaScript, so no comments on any of that.)

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 2, 2010
  10. 123Jim

    Neredbojias Guest

    On 01 May 2010, "123Jim" <> wrote:

    > ( was more interested in the JavaScript at time of writing it)
    >
    > What about those textareas? the validator wants rows and columns but
    > I have pixels .. which make more sense to me, it works, is invalid
    > and I need to think about fonts, ems in order to change it ?

    It's been awhile since I did any ta but I ...think... css overrides the
    rows and cols so you can include them to validate.

    --
    Neredbojias

    http://www.neredbojias.org/
    http://www.neredbojias.net/
    Neredbojias, May 2, 2010
  11. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    > 123Jim wrote:

    >>> Did you figure out your <br> errors?

    >> My own errors are many, but simple. For example here:
    >> http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ladycroft/Rewrite_line_in_text_file_based_on_contents.html

    > Hah! As I suspected, your <br>s are within the <body>. That's an error
    > (for each one) in Strict. You don't need them anyway; add some
    > bottom-margin to the preceding <div>s.
    >
    >> ( was more interested in the JavaScript at time of writing it)
    >>
    >> What about those textareas? the validator wants rows and columns but
    >> I have pixels .. which make more sense to me, it works, is invalid
    >> and I need to think about fonts, ems in order to change it ?

    > 'Tis because width and height are not valid attributes for <textarea>.
    > http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_textarea.asp
    > You need the rows and columns.
    >
    > Oh, and I'm quite happy with my default font and size for textareas. You
    > don't really need to specify those, either. <g>
    >
    > (I don't do JavaScript, so no comments on any of that.)

    Have added ROWS and COLS .... but with arbitrary values .... to make my
    textareas validate. the values don't have any effect .. probably because of
    the container table cells having dimension.
    so the page validates at least ....
    123Jim, May 2, 2010
  12. 123Jim

    123Jim Guest

    "Neredbojias" <> wrote in message
    > On 01 May 2010, "123Jim" <> wrote:
    >

    >> ( was more interested in the JavaScript at time of writing it)
    >>
    >> What about those textareas? the validator wants rows and columns but
    >> I have pixels .. which make more sense to me, it works, is invalid
    >> and I need to think about fonts, ems in order to change it ?

    > It's been awhile since I did any ta but I ...think... css overrides the
    > rows and cols so you can include them to validate.

    yes .. that is what I found
    cheers
    123Jim, May 2, 2010