    does it just push the parsers too hard?

    TIA

    Ian Pilcher

    Ian Pilcher, Aug 31, 2005

  2. Ian Pilcher wrote:

    > I was just wondering if anyone has ever been able to use the W3C meta-
    > schema (from http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema) to actually validate a
    > schema, including the meta-schema itself.

    It has been some time I have looked at that but my understanding is that
    the schema serves some documentary purpose but validating against it
    does not work as there is some bootstrapping necessary. However schema
    parsers usually allow you to compile a schema and then give you errors
    if the schema is not valid, there is no need to try to validate against
    that meta schema if you want to check one of your own schemas.

    --

    Martin Honnen
    http://JavaScript.FAQTs.com/

    Martin Honnen, Aug 31, 2005

  3. Ian Pilcher writes:

    > I was just wondering if anyone has ever been able to use the W3C meta-
    > schema (from http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema) to actually validate a
    > schema, including the meta-schema itself.

    Yes -- XSV [1] uses it to validate every schema document that comes in
    for use.

    > The tools I've tried (xmllint from libxml2 and whatever parser Sun's
    > Java 1.5.0 uses) barf at various points. Is the meta-scehma flawed, or
    > does it just push the parsers too hard?

    Surprised that Xerces doesn't accept the sForS -- error messages?

    ht

    [1] http://www.ltg.ed.ac.uk/~ht/xsv-status.html
    Half-time member of W3C Team
    Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail:

    Henry S. Thompson, Sep 1, 2005
  4. Martin Honnen writes:

    > It has been some time I have looked at that but my understanding is
    > that the schema serves some documentary purpose but validating against
    > it does not work as there is some bootstrapping necessary.

    The W3C XML Schema REC makes clear that all schema documents must be
    schema-valid with respect to the sForS. . .

    ht
    Half-time member of W3C Team
    Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail:

    Henry S. Thompson, Sep 1, 2005
  5. Ian Pilcher

    Ian Pilcher Guest

    Henry S. Thompson wrote:
    > Surprised that Xerces doesn't accept the sForS -- error messages?

    UndeclaredPrefix: Cannot resolve 'xs:string' as a QName: the prefix 'xs'
    is not declared.

    I get this error whether I'm trying to validate my own schema or the
    meta-schema itself.

    Ian Pilcher

    Ian Pilcher, Sep 1, 2005
  6. Ian Pilcher writes:

    > Henry S. Thompson wrote:
    >> Surprised that Xerces doesn't accept the sForS -- error messages?

    > UndeclaredPrefix: Cannot resolve 'xs:string' as a QName: the prefix 'xs'
    > is not declared.

    That's downright weird -- needless to say there's a namespace
    declaration for 'xs' at the top of
    http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.xsd -- can anybody else replicate
    this?

    ht