    <frameset cols="20%,80%">

    There is no errors, then the frame separator rendered is bigger than a
    fine wire. I prefer a fine wire as frame separator.
    Ray_Net, Dec 3, 2011

  2. 2011-12-03 22:36, Ray_Net wrote:

    > Could you tell me how to modify my page:
    > http://home.scarlet.be/~ds367815/
    > to avoid the 3 errors when using:
    > http://validator.w3.org/

    Just ignore the error messages.

    > If i replace
    > <frameset cols="20%,80%" border=1 frameborder=1 framespacing=0>
    > by
    > <frameset cols="20%,80%">
    >
    > There is no errors, then the frame separator rendered is bigger than a
    > fine wire. I prefer a fine wire as frame separator.

    Frames are defined in HTML 4.01 in a certain way that mostly, but not
    entirely, reflects browser support to frames. Mostly by mistake, the
    attributes for controlling appearance were defined incompletely. Nobody
    is going to change HTML 4.01, so you just need to live with the error
    messages when you validate.

    Frames were popular in the middle 1990s. Nowadays most people use
    something else. For a three-page site, I would build navigation by hand.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 3, 2011

  3. Ray_Net

    Ray_Net Guest

    In article <jbe26k$i07$>, says...

    > 2011-12-03 22:36, Ray_Net wrote:
    >
    > > Could you tell me how to modify my page:
    > > http://home.scarlet.be/~ds367815/
    > > to avoid the 3 errors when using:
    > > http://validator.w3.org/

    > Just ignore the error messages.
    >
    > > If i replace
    > > <frameset cols="20%,80%" border=1 frameborder=1 framespacing=0>
    > > by
    > > <frameset cols="20%,80%">
    > >
    > > There is no errors, then the frame separator rendered is bigger than a
    > > fine wire. I prefer a fine wire as frame separator.

    > Frames are defined in HTML 4.01 in a certain way that mostly, but not
    > entirely, reflects browser support to frames. Mostly by mistake, the
    > attributes for controlling appearance were defined incompletely. Nobody
    > is going to change HTML 4.01, so you just need to live with the error
    > messages when you validate.
    >
    > Frames were popular in the middle 1990s. Nowadays most people use
    > something else. For a three-page site, I would build navigation by hand.

    By navigation by hand, you mean that when clicking on a menuc choice , i
    need to send each time the complete page ?
    Ray_Net, Dec 3, 2011
  4. Ray_Net

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ray_Net <> wrote:

    > Could you tell me how to modify my page:
    > http://home.scarlet.be/~ds367815/
    > to avoid the 3 errors when using:
    > http://validator.w3.org/
    >
    > If i replace
    > <frameset cols="20%,80%" border=1 frameborder=1 framespacing=0>
    > by
    > <frameset cols="20%,80%">
    >
    > There is no errors, then the frame separator rendered is bigger than a
    > fine wire. I prefer a fine wire as frame separator.

    Here is one way to get a nice thin line and keep the validator
    happy. Remove all those attributes from the frameset element. But
    put some in the frame element.

    <frameset cols="20%,80%">

    <frame name="menusub" frameborder="0" src="left.html">
    <frame name="mainsub" frameborder="0" src="right.html">

    </frameset>

    and stick a right border on left.html (or maybe just a left
    border on right.html).

    What is rarely understood by people about these matters is the
    importance getting it right is to the frames and framesets
    themselves. Browsers do not much care, they just go along with
    whatever, they show the most incredible lack of emotion. But
    framesets and frames are sensitive creatures, highly emotional,
    their only friend these days in a hostile world is the validator.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 3, 2011
  5. 2011-12-03 23:29, Ray_Net wrote:

    > By navigation by hand, you mean that when clicking on a menuc choice , i
    > need to send each time the complete page ?

    Yes. Do you expect that to matter much for, say, a page with a total
    size of 24 kilobytes, where 16 kilobytes consist of an image (which will
    probably be cached by the browser)? I can’t believe that saving a few
    dozen characters (used to set up the menu) would be crucial as compared
    with all the accessibility problems of frames.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 3, 2011
  6. Ray_Net

    MG Guest

    "Ray_Net" <> wrote in message
    > In article <jbe26k$i07$>, says...
    >>
    >> 2011-12-03 22:36, Ray_Net wrote:
    >>
    >> > Could you tell me how to modify my page:
    >> > http://home.scarlet.be/~ds367815/
    >> > to avoid the 3 errors when using:
    >> > http://validator.w3.org/

    >> Just ignore the error messages.
    >>
    >> > If i replace
    >> > <frameset cols="20%,80%" border=1 frameborder=1 framespacing=0>
    >> > by
    >> > <frameset cols="20%,80%">
    >> >
    >> > There is no errors, then the frame separator rendered is bigger than a
    >> > fine wire. I prefer a fine wire as frame separator.

    >> Frames are defined in HTML 4.01 in a certain way that mostly, but not
    >> entirely, reflects browser support to frames. Mostly by mistake, the
    >> attributes for controlling appearance were defined incompletely. Nobody
    >> is going to change HTML 4.01, so you just need to live with the error
    >> messages when you validate.
    >>
    >> Frames were popular in the middle 1990s. Nowadays most people use
    >> something else. For a three-page site, I would build navigation by hand.

    > By navigation by hand, you mean that when clicking on a menuc choice , i
    > need to send each time the complete page ?

    Yes, send the complete page each time.

    What happens if google takes a visitor to this page:
    http://home.scarlet.be/~ds367815/PAGE-DETAILS.HTM

    --
    MG
    MG, Dec 4, 2011
  7. Ray_Net

    Ray_Net Guest

    In article <jbfas4$eei$>, says...

    > "Ray_Net" <> wrote in message

    > >> Just ignore the error messages.

    > >> Frames are defined in HTML 4.01 in a certain way that mostly, but not
    > >> entirely, reflects browser support to frames. Mostly by mistake, the
    > >> attributes for controlling appearance were defined incompletely. Nobody
    > >> is going to change HTML 4.01, so you just need to live with the error
    > >> messages when you validate.
    > >>
    > >> Frames were popular in the middle 1990s. Nowadays most people use
    > >> something else. For a three-page site, I would build navigation by hand.

    > > By navigation by hand, you mean that when clicking on a menuc choice , i
    > > need to send each time the complete page ?

    > Yes, send the complete page each time.
    >
    > What happens if google takes a visitor to this page:
    > http://home.scarlet.be/~ds367815/PAGE-DETAILS.HTM

    That's correct...

    Did you know how can i place a fine wire vertically to separate the menu
    part of the rest ?
    Ray_Net, Dec 4, 2011
  8. Ray_Net

    MG Guest

    "Ray_Net" <> wrote in message
    > In article <jbfas4$eei$>, says...
    >>
    >> "Ray_Net" <> wrote in message
    >> > In article <jbe26k$i07$>, says...

    >> > By navigation by hand, you mean that when clicking on a menuc choice ,
    >> > need to send each time the complete page ?

    >> Yes, send the complete page each time.
    >>
    >> What happens if google takes a visitor to this page:
    >> http://home.scarlet.be/~ds367815/PAGE-DETAILS.HTM

    > That's correct...
    >
    > Did you know how can i place a fine wire vertically to separate the menu
    > part of the rest ?

    What I am meaning to say is that you should not be using frames. Use <div>s
    instead. You can style the <div> any way you want, including a fine wire.
    And put the menu on every page so that you don't get situations like this:

    MG, Dec 5, 2011
  9. On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 21:36:37 +0100, Ray_Net wrote:

    > Could you tell me how to modify my page:
    > http://home.scarlet.be/~ds367815/
    > to avoid the 3 errors when using:
    > http://validator.w3.org/
    >
    > If i replace
    > <frameset cols="20%,80%" border=1 frameborder=1 framespacing=0> by
    > <frameset cols="20%,80%">
    >
    > There is no errors, then the frame separator rendered is bigger than a
    > fine wire. I prefer a fine wire as frame separator.

    Observations:

    1) Changing element sizes triggering re-rendering as the mouse moves over
    them is visually distracting and some people find it annoying - for
    example the links in the menu section when the pointer is over
    "professeurs". Try just using colour changes instead.

    2) Do you really need a print this page button? Most browsers have a
    print button on their toolbar already, you're duplicating existing
    functionality.

    3) The mixture of centered and left aligned text on some of the pages is
    not easy on the eye.

    4) Use a single style sheet. Also, if your server supports it, use server
    side includes to include common blocks.

    5) Contact details that are shown on every page normally go at the bottom
    of the document.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon
    Denis McMahon, Dec 5, 2011
  10. Ray_Net

    Neil Gould Guest

    Ray_Net wrote:
    > Could you tell me how to modify my page:
    > http://home.scarlet.be/~ds367815/
    > to avoid the 3 errors when using:
    > http://validator.w3.org/
    >
    > If i replace
    > <frameset cols="20%,80%" border=1 frameborder=1 framespacing=0>
    > by
    > <frameset cols="20%,80%">
    >
    > There is no errors, then the frame separator rendered is bigger than a
    > fine wire. I prefer a fine wire as frame separator.

    Presuming that you just want to solve your fine-line issue, an easy way is
    to not define the border line at all in the frameset, but instead use a
    "border-right: 1px;" style on the left-hand menu page.

    --
    best regards,

    Neil
    Neil Gould, Dec 5, 2011
  11. Ray_Net

    Ray_Net Guest

    In article <jbhs3a$fpe$>, says...

    > "Ray_Net" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <jbfas4$eei$>, says...
    > >>
    > >> "Ray_Net" <> wrote in message

    > >> Yes, send the complete page each time.
    > >>
    > >> What happens if google takes a visitor to this page:
    > >> http://home.scarlet.be/~ds367815/PAGE-DETAILS.HTM

    > > That's correct...
    > >
    > > Did you know how can i place a fine wire vertically to separate the menu
    > > part of the rest ?

    > What I am meaning to say is that you should not be using frames. Use <div>s
    > instead. You can style the <div> any way you want, including a fine wire.
    > And put the menu on every page so that you don't get situations like this:
    > http://home.scarlet.be/~ds367815/PAGE-DETAILS.HTM

    I fully agree with you - However in a first approach i did not realise
    how i can have a fine vertical bar between the page-menu on the left and
    the page-text on the right using <div>
    Could someone give me a clue ?
    Ray_Net, Dec 5, 2011
  12. Ray_Net

    Ray_Net Guest

    In article <4edcc6bc$0$29344$>,
    says...

    > On Sat, 03 Dec 2011 21:36:37 +0100, Ray_Net wrote:
    >
    > > Could you tell me how to modify my page:
    > > http://home.scarlet.be/~ds367815/
    > > to avoid the 3 errors when using:
    > > http://validator.w3.org/
    > >
    > > If i replace
    > > <frameset cols="20%,80%" border=1 frameborder=1 framespacing=0> by
    > > <frameset cols="20%,80%">
    > >
    > > There is no errors, then the frame separator rendered is bigger than a
    > > fine wire. I prefer a fine wire as frame separator.

    > Observations:
    >
    > 1) Changing element sizes triggering re-rendering as the mouse moves over
    > them is visually distracting and some people find it annoying - for
    > example the links in the menu section when the pointer is over
    > "professeurs". Try just using colour changes instead.
    >
    > 2) Do you really need a print this page button? Most browsers have a
    > print button on their toolbar already, you're duplicating existing
    > functionality.
    >
    > 3) The mixture of centered and left aligned text on some of the pages is
    > not easy on the eye.
    >
    > 4) Use a single style sheet. Also, if your server supports it, use server
    > side includes to include common blocks.
    >
    > 5) Contact details that are shown on every page normally go at the bottom
    > of the document.

    Thanks for the valuable remarks.
    Ray_Net, Dec 5, 2011
  13. Ray_Net

    Ray_Net Guest

    In article <jbiq7e$jrl$>,
    says...

    > Ray_Net wrote:
    > > Could you tell me how to modify my page:
    > > http://home.scarlet.be/~ds367815/
    > > to avoid the 3 errors when using:
    > > http://validator.w3.org/
    > >
    > > If i replace
    > > <frameset cols="20%,80%" border=1 frameborder=1 framespacing=0>
    > > by
    > > <frameset cols="20%,80%">
    > >
    > > There is no errors, then the frame separator rendered is bigger than a
    > > fine wire. I prefer a fine wire as frame separator.
    > >

    > Presuming that you just want to solve your fine-line issue, an easy way is
    > to not define the border line at all in the frameset, but instead use a
    > "border-right: 1px;" style on the left-hand menu page.

    You are true, but reading all the intervention, i want to *not* use the
    frames. In that case, i did not know how to get a vertical fine wire
    between left and right part of the page , perhaps creating a table with
    3 rows, with no borders except the center one, but this approach ends
    with 2 vertical wires instead of 1.
    Ray_Net, Dec 5, 2011
  14. Ray_Net

    Neil Gould Guest

    Ray_Net wrote:
    > In article <jbiq7e$jrl$>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> Ray_Net wrote:
    >>> Could you tell me how to modify my page:
    >>> http://home.scarlet.be/~ds367815/
    >>> to avoid the 3 errors when using:
    >>> http://validator.w3.org/
    >>>
    >>> If i replace
    >>> <frameset cols="20%,80%" border=1 frameborder=1 framespacing=0>
    >>> by
    >>> <frameset cols="20%,80%">
    >>>
    >>> There is no errors, then the frame separator rendered is bigger
    >>> than a fine wire. I prefer a fine wire as frame separator.
    >>>

    >> Presuming that you just want to solve your fine-line issue, an easy
    >> way is to not define the border line at all in the frameset, but
    >> instead use a "border-right: 1px;" style on the left-hand menu page.

    > You are true, but reading all the intervention, i want to *not* use
    > the frames. In that case, i did not know how to get a vertical fine
    > wire between left and right part of the page , perhaps creating a
    > table with 3 rows, with no borders except the center one, but this
    > approach ends with 2 vertical wires instead of 1.

    Well, there are some who just don't see any value to frames, and there are
    other ways to do most of the things that frames have been used for in the
    past, but that doesn't invalidate any and all uses of frames.

    If you dont't require frames, using a pair of <div>s as has been previously
    suggested would be preferable to a table for several reasons. Do a search on
    creating a two-column layout using CSS. It's not complicated for simple
    static pages, and can do exactly what you want.

    --
    best regards,

    Neil
    Neil Gould, Dec 5, 2011
  15. Ray_Net wrote:

    > I fully agree with you - However in a first approach i did not realise
    > how i can have a fine vertical bar between the page-menu on the left and
    > the page-text on the right using <div> Could someone give me a clue ?

    Menu goes here...

    This should help as well:
    <http://htmldog.com/guides/cssadvanced/layout/>

    --
    -bts
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Dec 5, 2011
  16. Ray_Net

    dorayme Guest

    In article <jbiq7e$jrl$>,
    "Neil Gould" <> wrote:

    > Ray_Net wrote:
    > > Could you tell me how to modify my page:
    > > http://home.scarlet.be/~ds367815/
    > > to avoid the 3 errors when using:
    > > http://validator.w3.org/
    > >
    > > If i replace
    > > <frameset cols="20%,80%" border=1 frameborder=1 framespacing=0>
    > > by
    > > <frameset cols="20%,80%">
    > >
    > > There is no errors, then the frame separator rendered is bigger than a
    > > fine wire. I prefer a fine wire as frame separator.
    > >

    > Presuming that you just want to solve your fine-line issue, an easy way is
    > to not define the border line at all in the frameset, but instead use a
    > "border-right: 1px;" style on the left-hand menu page.

    Just not defining borders in the frameset still leaves quite a
    big doubled border in some modern browsers. See my post of Dec 4
    in this thread.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 5, 2011
  17. Ray_Net

    Neil Gould Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <jbiq7e$jrl$>,
    > "Neil Gould" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ray_Net wrote:
    >>> Could you tell me how to modify my page:
    >>> http://home.scarlet.be/~ds367815/
    >>> to avoid the 3 errors when using:
    >>> http://validator.w3.org/
    >>>
    >>> If i replace
    >>> <frameset cols="20%,80%" border=1 frameborder=1 framespacing=0>
    >>> by
    >>> <frameset cols="20%,80%">
    >>>
    >>> There is no errors, then the frame separator rendered is bigger
    >>> than a fine wire. I prefer a fine wire as frame separator.
    >>>

    >> Presuming that you just want to solve your fine-line issue, an easy
    >> way is to not define the border line at all in the frameset, but
    >> instead use a "border-right: 1px;" style on the left-hand menu page.

    > Just not defining borders in the frameset still leaves quite a
    > big doubled border in some modern browsers. See my post of Dec 4
    > in this thread.

    I see a message from you dated Dec 3, but not one for Dec 4 on this thread.
    Could be the server I'm using to access this group. Your Dec 3 message
    proposes a very similar solution to what I've suggested, above, and the
    specific addition of "...frameborder="0" for each of the frame files is a
    good suggestion!

    --
    best regards,

    Neil
    Neil Gould, Dec 5, 2011
  18. Ray_Net

    dorayme Guest

    In article <jbjfq4$fgr$>,
    "Neil Gould" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <jbiq7e$jrl$>,

    > >> Presuming that you just want to solve your fine-line issue, an easy
    > >> way is to not define the border line at all in the frameset, but
    > >> instead use a "border-right: 1px;" style on the left-hand menu page.

    > > Just not defining borders in the frameset still leaves quite a
    > > big doubled border in some modern browsers. See my post of Dec 4
    > > in this thread.
    > >

    > I see a message from you dated Dec 3, but not one for Dec 4 on this thread.
    > Could be the server I'm using to access this group. Your Dec 3 message
    > proposes a very similar solution to what I've suggested, above, and the
    > specific addition of "...frameborder="0" for each of the frame files is a
    > good suggestion!

    Well that must be the one I am referring to. It was the post
    which addressed his question of how to use his frames markup but
    have it validate, and have a thin border.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 5, 2011
  19. Ray_Net

    Ray_Net Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Could you tell me how to modify my page:
    > http://home.scarlet.be/~ds367815/
    > to avoid the 3 errors when using:
    > http://validator.w3.org/
    >
    > If i replace
    > <frameset cols="20%,80%" border=1 frameborder=1 framespacing=0>
    > by
    > <frameset cols="20%,80%">
    >
    > There is no errors, then the frame separator rendered is bigger than a
    > fine wire. I prefer a fine wire as frame separator.

    THANKS for all your suggestions and consels.
    I decide to not use frames .. This is what i have done so far (needs
    improvements): http://home.scarlet.be/~ds367815/INDEX.HTM
    Ray_Net, Dec 6, 2011
  20. Ray_Net

    MG Guest

    > THANKS for all your suggestions and consels.
    > I decide to not use frames .. This is what i have done so far (needs
    > improvements): http://home.scarlet.be/~ds367815/INDEX.HTM

    Two suggestions:

    1)
    You still have a frameset doctype. Change the doctype to:

    2)
    Run your page through the validator at
    http://validator.w3.org/
    and fix the errors shown there.