W3C Validation

Ray_Net

MG

Ray_Net said:
Thanks for pinpointing this situation.

I changed the doc type of http://home.scarlet.be/~ds367815 to be 4.01
Transitional - and all goes well now -> no errors using the validator.

Now i can go further.

I again have two suggestions.

1)
Transitional doctype is for backwards compatibility of old web pages. For
new pages, use the strict doctype.

2)
Put your css in an external style sheet. Then you have one stylesheet for
all your pages. (Otherwise you will be duplicating your styles on every
page.) The external stylesheet makes maintaining your website much easier.

Ray_Net

I again have two suggestions.

1)
Transitional doctype is for backwards compatibility of old web pages. For
new pages, use the strict doctype.

2)
Put your css in an external style sheet. Then you have one stylesheet for
all your pages. (Otherwise you will be duplicating your styles on every
page.) The external stylesheet makes maintaining your website much easier.

I will stay like that because:
I don't care about "strict" .... i have no validation error.
I have not enough pages to have a need of a separate style sheet - same
argument for my old frames - it was interesting to have the menu on ONE
place :)

Denis McMahon

I will stay like that because:
I don't care about "strict" .... i have no validation error. I have not
enough pages to have a need of a separate style sheet - same argument
for my old frames - it was interesting to have the menu on ONE place :)

Good reasons for changing the StyleSheet - it will be easier to maintain
the website, even if it's only 3 pages, if you decide you want to change
the style you only need to edit one file, and it will apply the style
changes to all pages.

And later, if you add some pages, instead of copying and pasting the
whole style sheet into each page, you only need to paste the link to the
style sheet.

Rgds

Denis McMahon