W3c Validator usage & can't see error

David Cox

I saw a suggestion to use the w3c validator on this forum.

http://validator.w3.org/

As a complete novice to web programming I am trying to learn by example as
well as by theorey, so I tried it on on a website that I am very familiar
with. It is clear the website is not compatible.

1.. <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
2.. <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head>
3.. <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html;
charset=iso-8859-1" />
4.. <meta http-equiv="Content-Style-Type" content="text/css" />
Is the validator relevant to this specification?

I got a list of errors. The first one I cannot see the problem gives the
message:

Line 189, Column 191: end tag for "div" omitted, but OMITTAG NO was
specified .

source:

Themes">Joomla Templates by JoomlaShack</a>&nbsp;<a

What should it be?

David F. Cox

David Mark

[...]

It likely has another open DIV that contains the last one, but is not
closed. In other words, there should be two closing DIV tags at the
end.

Anyway, this is the wrong forum for this.

David Cox

Randy Webb said:
David Cox said the following on 8/13/2007 4:59 AM:

Without knowing what website it is, so that all of the HTML can be viewed,
nobody can answer you. They can only guess - at best. Best place to ask
HTML questions is in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html

--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

Thanks. Apologies for wrong forum, I am more lost than I realised.

David F. Cox