w3wp crash and memory leakage

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Gaël, Oct 15, 2003.

  1. Gaël

    Gaël Guest

    Hi everybody!

    I have a really big problem with ASP.NET application. I noticed that the
    w3wp.exe memory size, increase with the time and the use of my website. When
    it raise a certain value, w3wp crashes and restart just after. My
    application is on a WebServer2003.

    So I have to resolve 2 problem :
    -Why the memory size of the w3wp increase non stop.
    - Why the w3wp crashes (in the case where there is no link between those
    problem)

    I did the test with another site with just some button and a datatable on it
    and I have the same problem. (Knowing that may be a memory leakage I have
    track all possibility of object that may not be destroyed, but alls are
    disposed)

    SO if anybody have a suggestion, he is welcome!

    :-()

    Gaël, Oct 15, 2003

  2. Gaël

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    There are several reasons why this can happen. You haven't been specific
    enough for me to give you a tailored answer. I can point you in a good
    direction though.

    You aren't releasing your resources. That is the long and short of it. You
    said objects were disposed, how? What resources are we talking about? Are
    you wrapping unmanaged resources like file handles, database connections? If
    so, you will need to dispose of these differently than managed resources.
    How are you declaring your connections?

    Lastly, IIS6 default setting encourage memory leaks simply because some
    important attributes like idletimeout etc are set to infinite by default.
    These settings encourage memory consumption to pile up.

    The first step here is to isolate and correct your resource leak. Then
    create an application pool, place your application inside this pool and set
    some tite resource guidelines on the pool such as max memory, cpu
    utilization etc. Then you need to dial down your processModel attributes to
    meaningful numbers from "Infinite" settings. Find this in the machine.config
    file. Please educate yourself about the machine.config file before you go
    tampering with the settings.

    Educate yourself here:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...tml/gngrfaspnetconfigurationsectionschema.asp

    Alvin Bruney, Oct 16, 2003