w3wp crash and memory leakage

Gaël

Hi everybody!

I have a really big problem with ASP.NET application. I noticed that the
w3wp.exe memory size, increase with the time and the use of my website. When
it raise a certain value, w3wp crashes and restart just after. My
application is on a WebServer2003.

So I have to resolve 2 problem :
-Why the memory size of the w3wp increase non stop.
- Why the w3wp crashes (in the case where there is no link between those
problem)

I did the test with another site with just some button and a datatable on it
and I have the same problem. (Knowing that may be a memory leakage I have
track all possibility of object that may not be destroyed, but alls are
disposed)

SO if anybody have a suggestion, he is welcome!

:-()

Alvin Bruney

There are several reasons why this can happen. You haven't been specific
enough for me to give you a tailored answer. I can point you in a good
direction though.

You aren't releasing your resources. That is the long and short of it. You
said objects were disposed, how? What resources are we talking about? Are
you wrapping unmanaged resources like file handles, database connections? If
so, you will need to dispose of these differently than managed resources.
How are you declaring your connections?

Lastly, IIS6 default setting encourage memory leaks simply because some
important attributes like idletimeout etc are set to infinite by default.
These settings encourage memory consumption to pile up.

The first step here is to isolate and correct your resource leak. Then
create an application pool, place your application inside this pool and set
some tite resource guidelines on the pool such as max memory, cpu
utilization etc. Then you need to dial down your processModel attributes to
meaningful numbers from "Infinite" settings. Find this in the machine.config
file. Please educate yourself about the machine.config file before you go
tampering with the settings.

Educate yourself here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...tml/gngrfaspnetconfigurationsectionschema.asp