wait cursor in ie

mlybarger

i'm trying to display a wait cursor in IE when doing a long running
operation, say posting xml data when the user clicks a button on the
page. i've tried to set the body.style="wait", but that only sets the
cursor for the main controls. for example:

<BODY ID="b1">

<INPUT TYPE="BUTTON" ONCLICK="body.style.cursor='wait'" VALUE="Click
Me">
<DIV ID="d1">This is where the count of iterations should display</DIV>

when the browser is maximized on a standard display, only the upper
left corner will have the wait cursor. further, adding a style="cursor:
hand;" to the input button lets it ignore the body's style.

our current solution to put up an hour glass during a long running op
has been to put up a clear div over the entre page, and set it's cursor
to a wait. There must be a better way to handle this, as it seems to
be a very expensive operation to put up a clear div to show an
hourglass on the whole page.

thoughts, ideas?