Wakanda , the end to end JavaScript platform is finally public

Alexandre Morgaut

Hi,

Just for information, the Wakanda project is now public, so anyone can
play with it

There no real end user license yet, just an evaluation license as it
is just a Developer Preview for the moment, it will have a dual
license distribution mode ("open source" and "commercial")

All the sources will be available as soon as possible

It allows you to write your full application in JavaScript: on the
server, on the client, even the database API is JavaScript

Feel free if you want to have a look: http://wakanda.org

We also made some funny teasers: http://wakanda.org/teasers

All feedback will be welcome to enhance the project

Regards

luismgz

Hey, it looks very good!
I skimmed the documentation a little bit but I couldn't find anything
related to hosting.
What kind of hosting should I get in order to publish an application
made with wakanda?
What technical characteristics should it have? Any recommendation?

Congratulations and good luck!
Luis

Alexandre Morgaut

Hi Luis,

thanks for your interest

When you go on the download page you can see the requirements for the
server:

Wakanda Server
- Mac OS X 10.6 or above
- Windows Vista or above/Windows Server 2008 or above
- Linux Ubuntu distribution 10.4 or 10.10 or above
- 1GB RAM (2GB recommended)

For Linux, automatic test are only launch currently on Ubuntu but you
could install Wakanda Server on Fedora, as well as on any other
"common" Linux distribution, provided that has the "libbsd.so"
library

The studio is currently proposed as a Desktop application with these
requirements:

Wakanda Studio
- Mac OS X 10.6 or above
- Windows Vista or above
- 1GB RAM (2GB recommended)

But it is already a set of Web Components like the GUI Designer, the
Model Designer, or the Debugger, so it may be provided as a Web IDE in
the future depending on the demand

Tell us if you if you are more questions ;-)

Regards
Alexandre

Mike Duffy

All feedback will be welcome to enhance the project

http://wakanda.org

IE8: Line: 34 Error: 'script.parentNode' is null or not an object

(FF - No error.)

Opera did not get a JS error, but the console shows at least 150 CSS
errors and warnings.

Chrome & Safari debug console showed a 404 server error. (Page looked
okay)

Konqueror Debug Console showed a pile of errors.

luismgz

All feedback will be welcome to enhance the project

I played with wakanda yesterday a little bit, following the quickstart
guide, and it went smoothly until I decided to leave the guide aside
and do things on my own.
Sorry I can't give you exact details of what happens.
Studio simply got frozen and the latest changes seemed to get lost.
There was no way to get it responsive again, so I simply restarted it.
Studio showed the employees page with its grids, but when runing it,
the page didn't display them.
Also, I tried creating an object and using it as a datasource. It
didn't work.

However, I will have to take a longer time and study well the
documentation to make sure I'm not doing something wrong, so I won't
bug you with useless comments for awhile...

But let me tell you that as far as I could see, the documentation and
the quickstart guide is excellent. Very clear.
The look of the widgets and Studio's ufer interface looks very
professional and intuitive. This will be an excellent tool when it
gets more stable.

regards,
Luis

Alexandre Morgaut

Hi Luis,

Don't hesitate to post your questions on our forum, and if you're
stuck, to send us your solution so we can try to find the problem.

I can be either:
- a bug from the server or the studio,
- a banal error you might have done,
- or a standard but unexpected behavior

The last one is often as much important as bugs

If it was just a banal error, I'm still very interested, as we want
developers to find them as much easily as possible enhancing any of
the components of our studio, server, or ajax framework.

regards

Alexandre