Want a development version of a live web application

scottingim

I have an ASP.NET web application, Bids. This application goes live on
Monday. I would like to set up a development version, BidTest, on the
same server. I have a website set up and can browse to it. I would
like to make my changes on BidTest, test them to make sure they work,
then publish to Bids (the live version) at a time that is convenient.
I cannot figure out how to do this. Can someone out there enlighten
me? Or, if this is not possible, suggest an alternative solution (no
pun intended).

Thanx,
Stephen Cottingim

Mike Lowery

I have an ASP.NET web application, Bids. This application goes live on
Monday. I would like to set up a development version, BidTest, on the
same server. I have a website set up and can browse to it. I would
like to make my changes on BidTest, test them to make sure they work,
then publish to Bids (the live version) at a time that is convenient.
I cannot figure out how to do this. Can someone out there enlighten
me? Or, if this is not possible, suggest an alternative solution (no
pun intended).

Wouldn't this be as simple as installing a production and development version on
the same server under different IIS directories, then copying over all the files
from the dev folder to the prod folder when you're done testing the changes?