want to create another virt dir to point to existing .net project

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Roy79, Mar 18, 2006.

  1. Roy79

    Roy79 Guest

    I have a Virtual directory (call it it VDA) referenceing a .net webservice on
    the same machine to "c:\myproject\wsProject\myapp"
    The .webinfo file is refereing to this VDA as "http:\\localhost\VDA\..."

    This set up works and is typical.

    What I want to do:

    I want to create another Virtual Directory (VDB) in the same machine
    reference to the same .net webservice to.

    However, when I change the .webinfo to reference to
    "http:\\localhost\VDB\..." and then open the .sln file. I get the error that
    when loading solution "web access failed" and detail messages stating it is
    trying to reference VDA and is asking to retry path or use frontpage
    extensions or work offline.

    Basically is there a way to create a new set of virt directories with a
    different name point to a directory of .net code.
    Roy79, Mar 18, 2006

  2. There are two different things you are trying to do. One is to create two
    virtual directories to the same directory - that is possible and you should
    be able to browse localhost/VDA and localhost/VDB without any problem.

    The second thing is opening the project in VS. What version of VS are you
    using? If you are using VS 2005, you can use the Open Website... in IIS and
    open the site or Open Website... from File System.

    For earlier versions, just create a new empty solution, say "Add existing
    project" and then reference the IIS virtual directory. If you created two
    empty solutions in different directories, you can reference the same solution
    - but I wouldn't know why you would want to do that.

    Regards,
    Pandurang
    --
    blog: www.thinkingMS.com/pandurang