Want to implement a specific Website search engine

Alok Guha [ India ]

hi all,
I got assignment to make a search engine specifin to a
website. In this way user will only enter search string and url of
website, and my application will be expected as to return result as
google [link to pages to that site].
Please help me out.. I am really puzzeled.. Thanks in advance.

Thanks and Regards
Alok S. Guha

Andrew Thompson

hi all,
         I got assignment to make a search engine specifin to a
website.

Give it (the assignment) back to whoever you
got it from. *
..In this way user will only enter search string and url of
website, and my application will be expected as to return result as
google [link to pages to that site].

Google offers such a service already.
        Please help me out.. I am really puzzeled.. Thanks in advance.

I suggest you hire someone.

* Anybody with a remote chance of being able to
implement a spider, organise and collate the
information (in any slightly efficient form)
and deliver that information back to users
based upon search strings, would not be 'really
puzzeled' by such a task.

GArlington

hi all,
I got assignment to make a search engine specifin to a
website. In this way user will only enter search string and url of
website, and my application will be expected as to return result as
google [link to pages to that site].
Please help me out.. I am really puzzeled.. Thanks in advance.

I am puzzled by what you want?
Thanks and Regards
Alok S. Guha

Are you expected to process random string and random (NOT predefined)
URL?
Are you going to implement real-time search engine? Then good luck -
some sites span thousands of pages and NO site directories, I hope you
will have fun following ALL links in ALL pages...
Maybe you should hire somebody to do that for you as Andrew
suggested...

Alok Guha [ India ]

hi all,
         I got assignment to make a search engine specifin to a
website. In this way user will only enter search string and url of
website, and my application will be expected as to return result as
google [link to pages to that site].
        Please help me out.. I am really puzzeled.. Thanks in advance.

I am puzzled by what you want?

Thanks and Regards
Alok S. Guha

Are you expected to process random string and random (NOT predefined)
URL?
Are you going to implement real-time search engine? Then good luck -
some sites span thousands of pages and NO site directories, I hope you
will have fun following ALL links in ALL pages...
Maybe you should hire somebody to do that for you as Andrew
suggested...

As i specified .. i want to perform search in a specific site like...
ther is one site.. www.mysite.com
so my system will be able to search in every public page of this site.

can anyone having idea about "how to generate sitemap of any site in
Java ?"
Please let me know as soon as possible..

Thanks in advance...

-Alok

Andrew Thompson

.. i want to perform search in a specific site like...
ther is one site..www.mysite.com

<head>
<title>KISS</title>
</head>

<form method='GET' action="http://www.google.com/search">
<input type='text' value="" name='as_q'>
<input type='hidden' value="www.mysite.com" name='as_sitesearch'>
<input type='submit' value="MySite Search">
</form>

so my system will be able to search in every public page of this site.

can anyone having idea about "how to generate sitemap of any site in
Java ?"

Visit Indonesia, catch a ferry to the island
of Java - then do what I did above.

If you want to use the Java programming language
for this task, and actually have *control* of the
site, JavaHelp might be a good way to index the
pages - though in the 'KISS' principle, I would
still probably just use the type of form shown
above, and simply ask Google to use the site's
own stylesheets to give the search results the
same 'look' as my site. (I have never tried
it, but Google did offer that at one stage.)
Please let me know as soon as possible..

Oh it's urgent is it? What's your budget?

BTW - please don't go splitting off new threads
simply becasue an existing thread is not going
as well as you'd hoped.

Roedy Green

I got assignment to make a search engine specifin to a
website. In this way user will only enter search string and url of
website, and my application will be expected as to return result as
google [link to pages to that site].
Please help me out.. I am really puzzeled.. Thanks in advance.

You could attack it with a form that passes to content of a field as a
parm in the HTTP get.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/jgloss.html to give you a hint.

You could write a program that generates a get that would be just like
what a browser would send. You compose it dynamically.

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/http.html

your code might be similar to
http://mindprod.com/applet/submitter.html

to snoop on what a browser and engine say to each other, see
http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sniffer.html

See http://mindprod.com/jgloss/htmlcheat.html#FORMS
to learn how forms work in HTML and what sorts of message they
generate.