Want to join a hobby (Java swing) project?

send2r

Hi, I am looking for some motivated programmers to join me in my Hobby
project.
Check out my project at:

http://code.google.com/p/jspent/

That is what I am trying to build. I am looking for max. 2 people who
can contribute ideas (such as requirements), improvements and can code
in Java/swing.

If you :
are a good coder,
have *genuine* interest and have time to work in hobby projects,
Understand swing and java 2D, some hibernate/XML understanding and
of course familiar with eclipse and net beans - please do respond.

Ranjith
http://rchandran.blogspot.com

Manish Pandit

Hi, I am looking for some motivated programmers to join me in my Hobby
project.
Check out my project at:

http://code.google.com/p/jspent/

That is what I am trying to build. I am looking for max. 2 people who
can contribute ideas (such as requirements), improvements and can code
in Java/swing.

If you :
are a good coder,
have *genuine* interest and have time to work in hobby projects,
Understand swing and java 2D, some hibernate/XML understanding and
of course familiar with eclipse and net beans - please do respond.

Ranjithhttp://rchandran.blogspot.com

Will a user have to manually input all of this, like balancing a check-
book ? Or does this app provide hooks (OFX Import) to financial
providers (like Microsoft Money does) to pull the statements and
categorize them ?

-cheers,
Manish

send2r

Will a user have to manually input all of this, like balancing a check-
book ? Or does this app provide hooks (OFX Import) to financial
providers (like Microsoft Money does) to pull the statements and
categorize them ?

-cheers,
Manish

I am not sure what it can do :)
Well, it is not implemented right now. But I am not sure how feasible
it is - and I am looking for collaboration for such things :)
thanks for your reply

Manish Pandit

I am not sure what it can do :)
Well, it is not implemented right now. But I am not sure how feasible
it is - and I am looking for collaboration for such things :)
thanks for your reply- Hide quoted text -

From the UI it appears to be a personal finance manager/book-keeper.
There are a plenty around (not to discourage your efforts), but do
take a look and see if you can produce something more of a value-add
and a differenciator. If you have to break the mold in a market
heavily dominated by MS Money and Quickbooks, it could be tough. But
do keep up your efforts...all you'd need is to look for a key
differenciator.

-cheers,
Manish

David Segall

Just so you asked, we need better UIs in Swing :)
I am not sufficiently familiar with the underlying Eclipse UI and how
JMoney has been implemented to argue that case but I'm sure that
starting a new project is not a solution. GnuCash and JMoney have been
around for years and they still only just compete with Quicken. I
don't think an improved UI is the key to a "Quicken killer" but, even
if it is, wouldn't it be better to design an improved interface to
JMoney than to start again from nothing?

I should add that these posts are based entirely on self interest and
not because I want to discourage a competitor to JMoney. I hope to
make XP my last Microsoft operating system and one of the reasons I
cling to it is because I have not weaned myself from Quicken.

Joshua Cranmer

Roedy said:

Despite the fact that I am an American, I have always found the
British/Canadian/Australian/everybody else but America's version of
spelling to feel better. Perhaps it's that they don't look as incorrect
if you stare at them long enough? (color looks wrong if you look at it
hard enough, whereas colour looks better) Except for the 's' v. 'z'
differences: it sounds like a 'z' so it, IMHO, should be spelled like a 'z'.

xen

Despite the fact that I am an American, I have always found the
British/Canadian/Australian/everybody else but America's version of
spelling to feel better. Perhaps it's that they don't look as incorrect
if you stare at them long enough? (color looks wrong if you look at it
hard enough, whereas colour looks better) Except for the 's' v. 'z'
differences: it sounds like a 'z' so it, IMHO, should be spelled like a 'z'.

I agree, »color« looks terribly wrong.

Roedy Green

(color looks wrong if you look at it
hard enough, whereas colour looks better) Except for the 's' v. 'z'
differences: it sounds like a 'z' so it, IMHO, should be spelled like a 'z'.

Daniel Webster, and other early Americans, wanted to simplify and
rationalise spelling. So they took the u out of colour and honour.
They changed French derivative words ending in re to er.

Further they changed pronunciation to make it easier for the
immigrants. The insisted you pronounce every syllable, unlike the
clipt vowels of the British upper class. It was seen as a
democratisation of language.

I like to avoid American spelling, except when enforced by Java or
required for consistency in Java programs, both as a badge of my
nationality and a tiny resistance of the American domination
economically, politically and militarily of the planet. It is a
crass, overly commercial, self-centred, planet-destroying culture. It
is what happens when you make capitalism the state religion.

Gore Vidal remarked that he was so happy to be born at this time in
history with a front row seat to watch the collapse of civilisation.
It was like getting to observe the fall of Rome.

Roedy Green

I agree, »color« looks terribly wrong.

To me it looks bleached and sterile. It conjures up the impoverished
palette of colours available for decorating corn flakes boxes. But
there is nothing inherent in either spelling. It is your associations
and what you are used to.

It is like kosy vs cosy.

John W. Kennedy

Tim said:
Wrong Webster, I believe. Daniel was a 19 century politician. The
lexicographer was Noah Webster (1758-1843). His dictionary did indeed
standardize the spelling of English words in America.

His was also the best-selling dictionary in Britain at the time work
started on the NED (later known as the OED).

bbound

Gore Vidal remarked that he was so happy to be born at this time in

Error, line 54: undefined symbol "Gore Vidal"

(And who on earth spells anything as "kosy"???)

Lew

Error, line 54: undefined symbol "Gore Vidal"

(And who on earth spells anything as "kosy"???)

You haven't heard of Gore Vidal? Damn.

And who on earth needs more than one question mark for a question????????

Have you heard of Wikipedia?? Do you have the energy to use it????
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gore_Vidal>

That would've taken you less time than posting your snarky remarky.

Right????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

bbound

That would've taken you less time than posting your snarky remarky.

But it would have failed to communicate to the OP the fact that their
message had failed to be self-explanatory without requiring people go
look stuff up. :)

Lew

But it would have failed to communicate to the OP the fact that their
message had failed to be self-explanatory without requiring people go
look stuff up. :)

Some people are not so lazy as not to look things up.

Gore Vidal is very famous.

nebulous99

Some people are not so lazy as not to look things up.

How do you know I didn't look it up, but ask anyway just to make the
point that the name isn't a household one everyone is sure to
recognize?
Gore Vidal is very famous.

Not famous enough for me to have recognized the name, obviously.