Want to learn C..IDE?

Alex Pavluck

I have a good book to learn C but I would like to use a good IDE with
code completion. The Visual Studio Express editions do not have a
version for C. Can anyone make a suggestion as to what I should use?

Thanks

santosh

Alex said:
I have a good book to learn C but I would like to use a good IDE with
code completion. The Visual Studio Express editions do not have a
version for C. Can anyone make a suggestion as to what I should use?

AFAIK the Visual Studio Express IDE supports C, since it's supports
C++.

Anyway, though there're sure to be others, Code::blocks, DevC++,
Eclipse, (with it's C++ package installed), PellesC etc. come to mind.

The best way to find a good one is to try a few and see for yourself.

Ian Collins

Alex said:
I have a good book to learn C but I would like to use a good IDE with
code completion.

Why? If you are learning, just use a text editor. Once you have
learned, you may or may not want to use an editor with code completion.

Bill Pursell

Ian said:
Why? If you are learning, just use a text editor. Once you have
learned, you may or may not want to use an editor with code completion.

I strongly agree with this sentiment. Learning C well requires
an understanding of the environment (compiler, linker, build process,
etc.) Modern IDE's hide things that should be well understood.
Edit your code with a text editor, and write your own makefiles.

--Bill Pursell

Rob Hoelz

I strongly agree with this sentiment. Learning C well requires
an understanding of the environment (compiler, linker, build process,
etc.) Modern IDE's hide things that should be well understood.
Edit your code with a text editor, and write your own makefiles.

--Bill Pursell

I'd recommend either vim or emacs as an editor to start with; they're
both designed to be programming editors. Personally, I prefer vim, but
that's strictly my choice. In conjunction with ctags and other tools,
vim/emacs forms a powerful suite of source code editing tools.

-Rob Hoelz

jussij

Alex said:
Can anyone make a suggestion as to what I should use?

The Zeus for Windows IDE has support for C/C++:

http://www.zeusedit.com/features.html
Note: Zeus is shareware (45 day trial).

It does C/C++ syntax highlighting, code folding and class
browsing. It also has features like macro scripting,
integrated version control, smart indenting, project
workspace management etc etc.

Jussi Jumppanen
Author: Zeus for Windows