  1. vicky

    vicky Guest

    i want to learn stl, if anybody can guide

    vicky, Jan 27, 2010

  2. vicky wrote:
    > i want to learn stl, if anybody can guide

    Where do you live? Can you wait? As soon as I have enough spare time,
    I'll walk/drive/fly/swim over, rent a flat in your area, and we can get
    together on a regular basis so I can guide you... Or you can simply get
    a course in your local college or get a book ("The C++ Standard Library"
    by Josuttis is excellent) and study.

    Victor Bazarov, Jan 27, 2010

  3. On Jan 27, 8:32 pm, Victor Bazarov <> wrote:
    > vicky wrote:
    >  Or you can simply get
    > a course in your local college or get a book ("The C++ Standard Library"
    > by Josuttis is excellent) and study.

    Yes I definitely agree, it is Joshhh - the man of STL

    I find books by Deitel are good for beginners too, they are used as
    textbooks are on library shelves in quite a lot of colleges

    **Group User**, Jan 27, 2010
  4. vicky

    osmium Guest

    vicky wrote:

    > i want to learn stl, if anybody can guide

    That's a formidable task. Fortunately there is a superb book on the
    subject, _The C++ Standard Library_ by Nicolai Josutis. If you think
    "formidable" is an exaggeration, the book has 800 pages and I don't think
    there is any fat there. I found it useful to create a personalized partial
    index for the book in a home brew text file on my computer.

    You will have to learn to love verylonganddescriptivetypenames. Or at least
    learn to copy them faithfully.

    osmium, Jan 27, 2010
  5. On Jan 27, 9:42 am, "osmium" <> wrote:
    > vicky wrote:
    > > i want to learn stl, if anybody can guide

    > That's a formidable task.  Fortunately there is a superb book on the
    > subject, _The C++ Standard Library_ by Nicolai Josutis.  If you think
    > "formidable" is an exaggeration, the book has 800 pages and I don't think
    > there is any fat there.  I found it useful to create a personalized partial
    > index for the book in a home brew text file on my computer.
    >
    > You will have to learn to love verylonganddescriptivetypenames. Or at least
    > learn to copy them faithfully.

    You can **reinvent** your wheel again. Learn how to write your own
    vector class in your code writing yourself. Study it. Then don't
    reinvent wheel anymore. Use STL.

    Read a book. The book is excellent. The title name is Objects,
    Abstraction, Data Structures and Design using C++. Arthor's name
    Elliot B. Koffman and Paul A.T. Wolfgang. ISBN 0-471-46755-3.

    Immortal Nephi, Jan 27, 2010
  6. vicky

    Jorgen Grahn Guest

    On Wed, 2010-01-27, osmium wrote:
    > vicky wrote:
    >
    >> i want to learn stl, if anybody can guide

    > That's a formidable task. Fortunately there is a superb book on the
    > subject, _The C++ Standard Library_ by Nicolai Josutis. If you think
    > "formidable" is an exaggeration, the book has 800 pages and I don't think
    > there is any fat there.

    I think it *is* an exaggeration. You don't learn *all* of it at once.
    If we're talking STL, you learn std::vector, std::map, iterators and
    some of the most common algorithms and the ideas behind them.

    > I found it useful to create a personalized partial
    > index for the book in a home brew text file on my computer.

    For the STL part, I really like SGI's documentation even though it's
    partially outdated.

    > You will have to learn to love verylonganddescriptivetypenames. Or at least
    > learn to copy them faithfully.

    Huh? I can't recall any of those in the standard library (neither in
    lenght nor lowercasenowhitespace format). I also don't understand the
    reference to copying them.

    /Jorgen

    --
    // Jorgen Grahn <grahn@ Oo o. . .