Want to substitute the % in the url with the equivalent one.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Hongyi Zhao, Mar 2, 2009.

  1. Hongyi Zhao

    Hongyi Zhao Guest

    Hongyi Zhao, Mar 2, 2009

  2. Hongyi Zhao

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Hongyi Zhao <> wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've a following url:
    >
    > http://sd.dynamic-dns.net/science?_ob=MImg&_imagekey=B6TVN-473DH31-BK-1&_cdi=5
    > 539&_user=6104474&_orig=search&_coverDate=07%2F02%2F1981&_sk=998979993&view=c&
    > wchp=dGLbVtz-zSkWA&_valck=1&md5=1c4770f46211140f4dd7fd09f54fb9d0&ie=/sdarticle
    > .pdf
    >
    > I want to make the % disappear in it by some equivalent substitions
    > rules. Is this possible?

    Gee, you might want to get rid of a lot more than that. How about
    putting a simple html page up on your server that has a link to it? That
    way, it does not matter how long it is.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 2, 2009

  3. Hongyi Zhao

    rf Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Hongyi Zhao <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> I've a following url:
    >>
    >> http://sd.dynamic-dns.net/science?_ob=MImg&_imagekey=B6TVN-473DH31-BK-1&_cdi=5
    >> 539&_user=6104474&_orig=search&_coverDate=07%2F02%2F1981&_sk=998979993&view=c&
    >> wchp=dGLbVtz-zSkWA&_valck=1&md5=1c4770f46211140f4dd7fd09f54fb9d0&ie=/sdarticle
    >> .pdf
    >>
    >> I want to make the % disappear in it by some equivalent substitions
    >> rules. Is this possible?

    > Gee, you might want to get rid of a lot more than that. How about
    > putting a simple html page up on your server that has a link to it?
    > That way, it does not matter how long it is.

    Better make that a POST link.
    rf, Mar 2, 2009
  4. Hongyi Zhao

    Hongyi Zhao Guest

    On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 18:13:39 +1100, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >Gee, you might want to get rid of a lot more than that. How about
    >putting a simple html page up on your server that has a link to it? That
    >way, it does not matter how long it is.

    Good, thanks for you advices, I've got it based on the free service
    provided by http://tinyurl.com/.

    --
    ..: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :.
    Hongyi Zhao, Mar 2, 2009
  5. Hongyi Zhao

    rf Guest

    Hongyi Zhao wrote:
    > On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 18:13:39 +1100, dorayme
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Gee, you might want to get rid of a lot more than that. How about
    >> putting a simple html page up on your server that has a link to it?
    >> That way, it does not matter how long it is.

    > Good, thanks for you advices, I've got it based on the free service
    > provided by http://tinyurl.com/.

    Which many people won't use as you never know where you are being sent,
    perhaps spamyou.cn? I would never follow one outside trusted newsgroup
    postings, and even then perhaps not those from dorayme ;-)
    rf, Mar 2, 2009
  6. Hongyi Zhao

    dorayme Guest

    In article <PwMql.24421$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > Hongyi Zhao wrote:
    > > On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 18:13:39 +1100, dorayme
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Gee, you might want to get rid of a lot more than that. How about
    > >> putting a simple html page up on your server that has a link to it?
    > >> That way, it does not matter how long it is.

    > > Good, thanks for you advices, I've got it based on the free service
    > > provided by http://tinyurl.com/.

    > Which many people won't use as you never know where you are being sent,
    > perhaps spamyou.cn? I would never follow one outside trusted newsgroup
    > postings, and even then perhaps not those from dorayme ;-)

    Have I led you anywhere bad?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 2, 2009
  7. Hongyi Zhao

    rf Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <PwMql.24421$>,
    > "rf" <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hongyi Zhao wrote:

    >>> Good, thanks for you advices, I've got it based on the free service
    >>> provided by http://tinyurl.com/.

    >> Which many people won't use as you never know where you are being
    >> sent, perhaps spamyou.cn? I would never follow one outside trusted
    >> newsgroup postings, and even then perhaps not those from dorayme ;-)

    > Have I led you anywhere bad?

    Apart from the garden path no, not AFAIK. I'm careful though :)
    rf, Mar 2, 2009
  8. Hongyi Zhao

    dorayme Guest

    In article <uSMql.24425$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > dorayme wrote:
    > > In article <PwMql.24421$>,

    > >> Which many people won't use as you never know where you are being
    > >> sent, perhaps spamyou.cn? I would never follow one outside trusted
    > >> newsgroup postings, and even then perhaps not those from dorayme ;-)

    > > Have I led you anywhere bad?

    > Apart from the garden path no, not AFAIK. I'm careful though :)

    In the tiny url technique, there is the alternative URL which takes you
    to a display of the link URL text first. This is designed for those
    wanting to tread a wary path... I did this a few times and then gave up
    with the comforting illusion that folk should be able to trust me by now
    on such things.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Mar 2, 2009
  9. Hongyi Zhao

    rf Guest

    dorayme wrote:
    > In article <uSMql.24425$>,
    > "rf" <> wrote:
    >
    >> dorayme wrote:

    >>> Have I led you anywhere bad?

    >> Apart from the garden path no, not AFAIK. I'm careful though :)

    > In the tiny url technique, there is the alternative URL which takes
    > you to a display of the link URL text first. This is designed for
    > those wanting to tread a wary path... I did this a few times and then
    > gave up with the comforting illusion that folk should be able to
    > trust me by now on such things.

    dorayme, m'dear of course I trust you (well to a certain extent). Notice the
    ; in the above smiley. You know, one eye closed, wink wink, havin a go at
    you ;-)
    Me, I just arrange my URLs so that they are not too long. The OP's is
    simply, no, ridiculously, too long.

    What I do NOT trust is anybody I don't know trying to lead me down a tinyurl
    garden path. Its like those bloody spam things that are just a giant image
    that look like a page with a valid URL to "click here" on but when one looks
    at the status bar it's invaribly going to somewhere in .cn. This is what I
    want the OP to consider.
    rf, Mar 2, 2009
  10. Hongyi Zhao wrote:

    > I've a following url:
    >
    > http://sd.dynamic-dns.net/science?_...0f46211140f4dd7fd09f54fb9d0&ie=/sdarticle.pdf
    >
    > I want to make the % disappear in it by some equivalent substitions
    > rules. Is this possible?

    I wonder why you are doing this, but the apparent way is to unescape the %2F
    construct, i.e. replacing it by the solidus (slash) character "/". It is not
    a reserved character in the query part. Beware, however, that RFC 3986 says
    in clase 3,4;

    The characters slash ("/") and question mark ("?") may represent data
    within the query component. Beware that some older, erroneous
    implementations may not handle such data correctly when it is used as
    the base URI for relative references (Section 5.1), apparently
    because they fail to distinguish query data from path data when
    looking for hierarchical separators.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Mar 2, 2009
  11. Hongyi Zhao

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 12:46:21 +0800, Hongyi Zhao
    <> wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >
    >I've a following url:
    >
    >http://sd.dynamic-dns.net/science?_...0f46211140f4dd7fd09f54fb9d0&ie=/sdarticle.pdf
    >
    >I want to make the % disappear in it by some equivalent substitions
    >rules. Is this possible?

    Holy Horsehockey!

    I think tinyurl would crap out with this one.

    How the hell was this damn thing generated?
    I'd be looking at restructuring the entire thing.
    richard, Mar 2, 2009
  12. Hongyi Zhao

    Hongyi Zhao Guest

    On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 14:56:03 -0500, richard <>
    wrote:

    >Holy Horsehockey!
    >
    >I think tinyurl would crap out with this one.

    In fact, I've tried to tinyurl and it does the trick.

    >How the hell was this damn thing generated?
    >I'd be looking at restructuring the entire thing.

    How to resconstruct it, any hints?

    --
    ..: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :.
    Hongyi Zhao, Mar 4, 2009
  13. Hongyi Zhao

    Hongyi Zhao Guest

    On Mon, 2 Mar 2009 19:01:09 +0200, "Jukka K. Korpela"
    <> wrote:

    >I wonder why you are doing this,

    I want to use this url to test a proxy lists.

    >but the apparent way is to unescape the %2F
    >construct, i.e. replacing it by the solidus (slash) character "/". It is not
    >a reserved character in the query part. Beware, however, that RFC 3986 says
    >in clase 3,4;
    >
    > The characters slash ("/") and question mark ("?") may represent data
    > within the query component. Beware that some older, erroneous
    > implementations may not handle such data correctly when it is used as
    > the base URI for relative references (Section 5.1), apparently
    > because they fail to distinguish query data from path data when
    > looking for hierarchical separators.

    Thanks for your pertinent analyses.

    --
    ..: Hongyi Zhao [ hongyi.zhao AT gmail.com ] Free as in Freedom :.
    Hongyi Zhao, Mar 4, 2009