Wanted: Help setting session timeout

Siegfried Heintze

I have edited my web.config file in an attempt to prolong the amount of time
my browser can site idle:

<sessionState mode="InProc"
stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424" sqlConnectionString="data
source=127.0.0.1;Trusted_Connection=yes" cookieless="false" timeout="2000"
/>

This does not seem to help, however. I still get the following stack trace
when the web browser sits for more than 10 minutes (approx) with no
activity:

Line 238: void UpdateDataView(){
Line 239: DataSet ds = (DataSet)
Session["MyDataSet"];
Line 240: DataView dv =
ds.Tables["MyList"].DefaultView;It looks like a session problem to me. Why
does not chaning the timeout in the web.config file solve this problem?

Thanks,
Siegfried

Guest

Are you sure that Session["MyDataSet"] is not null? I don't see any code to
check for that. It may very well be that you *think* it isn't null, but a
logic error or exception in code somewhere else could be making it so.
Peter

Siegfried Heintze

Peter,
Well, I have not checked it with the debugger but I am sure it is null. But
it only becomes null after 10 minutes or so. It is probably becomming null
because of some timeout parameter that us purging my session state. Where is
this parameter? Is it in the web.config file? I tried altering that one and
it did not help. Is there another one?

Thanks,
Siegfried

Peter Bromberg said:
Are you sure that Session["MyDataSet"] is not null? I don't see any code
check for that. It may very well be that you *think* it isn't null, but a
logic error or exception in code somewhere else could be making it so.
Peter

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog:
http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com