wanted($): mac and linux python gui coders for porting

Discussion in 'Python' started by Mark Hahn, Sep 16, 2003.

  1. Mark Hahn

    Mark Hahn Guest

    (I apologize in advance if this is not an appropriate posting)

    I have written a simple windows shareware app, EzPicMailer, in Python 2.3,
    wxPython 2.4.1, and PIL 1.1.4 that lets computer novices find photo files,
    edit them, and mail them, all in one simple app. Everyone is encouraged to
    check out my beta version at http://EzPicMailer.com.

    I wrote it to be cross-platform except for a small amout of windows code to
    do the system beep and to find the desktop and home folders.

    Now I need a Mac programmer and a Linux programmer to port to these
    environments for me. I'm new to shareware but I'm guessing that paying 10%
    of gross license receipts would be fair. I put in close to 200 hours into
    the app and I'm assuming that 20 hours to do a decent looking port would be
    about right, which gives 10% of the effort. Let me know if I'm off-base
    here.

    You will also be responsible for a second line of support for your platform.
    In other words you will need to fix problems particular to your platform to
    keep your royalty flow. You will not have to talk to customers though.
    That is what I mean by second-line.

    If you are interested, please tell me about yourself and point me to some of
    your existing work with GUI's.
    Mark Hahn, Sep 16, 2003

  2. Mark Hahn

    Steve Holden Guest

    "Mark Hahn" <> wrote in message
    > (I apologize in advance if this is not an appropriate posting)
    >
    > I have written a simple windows shareware app, EzPicMailer, in Python 2.3,
    > wxPython 2.4.1, and PIL 1.1.4 that lets computer novices find photo

    files,
    > edit them, and mail them, all in one simple app. Everyone is encouraged

    > check out my beta version at http://EzPicMailer.com.
    >
    > I wrote it to be cross-platform except for a small amout of windows code

    > do the system beep and to find the desktop and home folders.
    >
    > Now I need a Mac programmer and a Linux programmer to port to these
    > environments for me. I'm new to shareware but I'm guessing that paying

    10%
    > of gross license receipts would be fair. I put in close to 200 hours into
    > the app and I'm assuming that 20 hours to do a decent looking port would

    be
    > about right, which gives 10% of the effort. Let me know if I'm off-base
    > here.
    >
    > You will also be responsible for a second line of support for your

    platform.
    > In other words you will need to fix problems particular to your platform

    > keep your royalty flow. You will not have to talk to customers though.
    > That is what I mean by second-line.
    >
    > If you are interested, please tell me about yourself and point me to some

    of
    > your existing work with GUI's.

    Mark:

    I don't think anyone would complain about your post. You might, however, get
    a better response if you create a SourceForge project and add to the "help
    wanted" list there. People do scour that list from time to time. You'll also
    learn a lot about CVS :)

    Good luck with your project.

    regards
    --
    Steve Holden http://www.holdenweb.com/
    Python Web Programming http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/
    Steve Holden, Sep 16, 2003

  3. Mark Hahn

    Steve Holden Guest

    Oops, you said "shareware". Guess the SourceForge route wouldn't be for you,
    then. Sorry!

    regards

    Steve Holden, Sep 16, 2003
  4. Mark Hahn

    Tim Roberts Guest

    "Mark Hahn" <> wrote:

    >I have written a simple windows shareware app, EzPicMailer, in Python 2.3,
    >wxPython 2.4.1, and PIL 1.1.4 that lets computer novices find photo files,
    >edit them, and mail them, all in one simple app. Everyone is encouraged to
    >check out my beta version at http://EzPicMailer.com.
    >Now I need a Mac programmer and a Linux programmer to port to these
    >environments for me.

    wxPython works identically in all three environments. I'd be surprised if
    you had to make more than trivial changes. Plus, if you just released your
    source code, others would be happy to make the changes for you, in exchange
    for readme credit.

    >I'm new to shareware but I'm guessing that paying 10%
    >of gross license receipts would be fair. I put in close to 200 hours into
    >the app and I'm assuming that 20 hours to do a decent looking port would be
    >about right, which gives 10% of the effort. Let me know if I'm off-base
    >here.

    The problem is that 10% of your shareware revenue stream is likely to come
    to approximately $1 per month.

    Further, the shareware revenue stream from your Linux port is almost
    certainly going to be $0 per month. Linux users do not pay for software
    tools like this. There's just too much outstanding stuff available for
    free.
    --
    - Tim Roberts,
    Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.
    Tim Roberts, Sep 17, 2003
  5. Tim Roberts <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > The problem is that 10% of your shareware revenue stream is likely to come
    > to approximately $1 per month.
    >
    > Further, the shareware revenue stream from your Linux port is almost
    > certainly going to be $0 per month. Linux users do not pay for software
    > tools like this. There's just too much outstanding stuff available for
    > free.

    With his marketing skills it will be $0 even for the windows version.
    And with a connection that gives me 2Kb/sec on a fast DSL line even
    the download will be 0.
    Lothar Scholz, Sep 17, 2003
  6. Mark Hahn

    Mark Hahn Guest

    >With his marketing skills

    Whose skills are you reffering to?

    Mark Hahn, Sep 17, 2003
  7. "Mark Hahn" <> wrote in message news:<U3%9b.39616$n94.30901@fed1read04>...
    > >With his marketing skills

    > Whose skills are you reffering to?

    Yours. Maybe a website is on the way, instead of the current simple
    page.

    By the way: The program throws an exception when i want to add a
    picture.

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<string>", line 378, in OnMouseDown
    File "<string>", line 695, in OnAddPhoto
    File "C:\Installer\EzPicMailer\buildEzPicMailer\out1.pyz/photochooser_dialog",
    line 434, in choose_photo
    File "C:\Installer\EzPicMailer\buildEzPicMailer\out1.pyz/photochooser_dialog",
    line 392, in __init__
    File "C:\Installer\EzPicMailer\buildEzPicMailer\out1.pyz/photochooser_dialog",
    line 288, in set_path
    File "C:\Installer\EzPicMailer\buildEzPicMailer\out1.pyz/photochooser_dialog",
    line 208, in PaintNow
    File "C:\Installer\EzPicMailer\buildEzPicMailer\out1.pyz/photochooser_dialog",
    line 222, in paint
    File "C:\Installer\EzPicMailer\buildEzPicMailer\out1.pyz/photochooser_dialog",
    line 137, in get_bitmap_bigpath
    File "<string>", line 522, in save_datastore
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'data/app_datastore.pkl'
    Lothar Scholz, Sep 18, 2003
  8. Mark Hahn

    Mark Hahn Guest

    I'm not going to be marketing it. Discussions are under way with several
    "re-distributors" who would do the actual marketing. Apparently there is
    money to be made in the $10 "throw-away-money" market. Anyway, I just write
    it, I don't care who buys it or why. In any case, my understanding is that
    the intended market is friends and relatives of computer-savvy people, not
    the computer-savvy people themselves. You may have a big dsl pipe but I'll
    bet your parents don't.

    As to whether linux people would use it, that's beyond my understanding.
    Are there non-computer-savvy people using linux who had their pc set up by
    others, who could benefit from gut-simple software? I know there are
    non-gurus using macs. I gave my mom a mac and she is really challenged by
    AOL. This app would be great for her.

    As to your problem: What version are you using? I've been fixing bugs like
    crazy the last few days. I think it is settling down now. Try the latest
    version. If you still have problems let me know.

    P.S. If you don't mind, extend the testing all the way to using PayPal. I
    promise that I'm reversing all charges at the end of beta testing. (I know
    that may sound suspicious, but I really am honest :)

    Mark Hahn, Sep 18, 2003